Voice-Assistant for Canvas

0 Likes
​I am a Junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,  majoring in Computer Science.

I love canvas, and I am happy that Cal Poly switched to the canvas. 
Although the only problem is accessing grades, per se, is a lengthy process:

cal poly portal -> login -> my apps -> canvas -> courses -> grades

An AI-based voice  assistant would cut through this process, reducing it to:

"What is my grade in Physics-3 quiz-2." 
assistant: your grade is 70
                 the avg was: 75
and many more applications which I cannot achieve by just using API. 

I have trained AI-based assistant using Wit.Ai framework. I used canvas API to write essential functions like getting the grade, but I can't access the average. 

I was wondering if Canvas wants to work on this because I'll be happy to see my project in real-world and Canvas will add to its functionality so that more universities use these. 

For example, even accessing office hours timing is a pain and people write it down. What is the use of this tech if we still have to use paper? 

We can create an excellent assistant who can also help students mental health by making suggestions like if the grade is less than avg, we suggest them to go to office hours and show them the timings or congratulate if they score well.

I will be happy to be a part of this project and see people using it.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@jdevkar 

Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea! We'll move this forward for additional discussion, and in the meantime, check out the place where developers work on their projects:  CANVAS DEV & FRIENDS ; it's a great place to find collaborators as well. We hope that as you make progress you'll post periodic updates here.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.