Warning about Late Policy Effects

(1)

The Late Policy is applied across all assignments. Also, there is no quick-n-easy way to determine what the grade was before... or, (in the case of submitted files) whether or not a particular student had a "missing" assignment. And, once applied, there is no going back... no "Undo" or "Restore".

These concrete effects are not obvious to new users of Canvas.

Thus, when an instructor applies a late policy in the middle of the semester... whoa! That can have seriously un-cool effects.

I have voted for this related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10441-separate-late-policies-for-individual-assignments" modif...

In the meantime... until such granular control is available... can you all add some language to the existing functionality. Maybe a warning pop-up box. Something to the effect of:

"You have chosen to apply a course Late Policy. This will effect all assignments, past and future. This will cause all grades of 'late' assignments to be altered. Once applied, the effects of this Late Policy cannot be reversed."

2 Comments
manntorr
Community Novice

I recently tried to see  how my students' grades would be affected if I implemented a more stringent late policy. When I tried to revert to the agreed upon policy, I couldn't. I also discovered that Canvas had awarded points to students who had submitted nothing all term.  I wish there were a way to undo my changes besides slogging through one-by-one.  Especially, since any other changes on Canvas lessons, assignments, modules, need to be updated, saved, etc... before they are permanent.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.