[Gradebook] What if grading for instructors

Currently instructors cannot create hypothetical scores for students like What-If scores. This would be very helpful as we get close to the end of the quarter to see if a student has the ability to reach a particular grade or not.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

73 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

189915_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

kschneider25
Community Champion

It would be helpful if this screen didn't actually change the grade book (keeping with the what-if theory) for teachers so a banner displaying that everything is read-only would be very helpful.

cchambers
Community Novice

This would be a very helpful feature for advising students. I want to be able to show students what they can achieve based on different circumstances and help them make good decisions.

thompsli
Community Champion

I would find this extremely useful. I use weighted grade categories with dropped assignments in each category and it's definitely a multi-calculation process for me to see if so-and-so's grade would be likely to go up to a different letter grade if they came in to take the final (which replaces the lowest test score) and also turned in two more of the weekly problem-solving assignments.

I'm a math teacher and I can do the math just fine, but if I'm on the phone with a parent while I'm trying to do the math it certainly takes longer than being about to hit a "what if" button and get a screen where I can play with things directly in response to each of their questions and new proposed scenarios.  Also, I could then print that page and email it to the parent as a reminder of the "plan" if it were formatted in such a way as to make the "what if" parts clear.

bbennett2
Community Champion

This is already available in the student gradebook. If they're using Canvas to check their grades, why can't they look at a what-if grade for themselves?

mpedersen
Community Novice

This is true, but sometimes I have requests from others such as counselors, funding agencies, or parents. There are also times when I’m just curious. It is usually just past mid quarter; someone wants to know if they should even bother continuing in the course. The other thing I would like is to be able to do the “what if” with work that hasn’t been published yet.

Marcia

kari
Community Contributor

Could this idea be added to the student context card? 

mpedersen
Community Novice

I’ve not seen that feature. I checked it out, and it appears we do not have that feature enabled. I don’t see a what if in it, but I agree that it would be a good place for the feature.

Marcia

James
Community Champion

How do you see it fitting in there,  @kari ?

Do you mean making the actual what-if be on that context card or just a link to the what-if being on the card?