[Gradebook] What if grading for instructors

Currently instructors cannot create hypothetical scores for students like What-If scores. This would be very helpful as we get close to the end of the quarter to see if a student has the ability to reach a particular grade or not.

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

73 Comments
gdulaney
Community Explorer

I'd like to be able to explore "what if" scenarios re student grades for all my students (using the test student). I can only experiment for published assignments/tests. I'd like to easily do this on Canvas (just for the test student) for unpublished assignments/tests.  I could do the math (like I have always done), but if Canvas would make this possible, I wouldn't have to do the math.

mary_ledbetter
Community Explorer

I need this every day!  Thus would be great benefit. What I do instead is duplicate all of the students grades into my test student and do what if scenarios. But it goes away. I would love o have a way to show the student myself. 

ericreifs
Community Explorer

I think it would be useful if teachers could use the What if tool that students have access to. It would be good if a teacher could play what if games with upcoming grades to see how it would affect the grade.  It is a great tool why not have it available to teachers?

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Please add this feature! I provide a lot of assignments in a number of Assignment Categories, and allow a number of drops in each category. I get the "make students do the math" comment, but it isn't always so straight forward and students often struggle with understanding their grade. In fact, I would say that the Canvas Gradebook itself does a poor job of managing these kind of scenarios - see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Include-a-Keep-Highest-Scores-Rule-instead-of-...

avizcain
Community Novice

Well, we are in 2020 right now, and I still would like this feature. I need to know if a student can reach a passing grade by completion of one extra assignment without having to go into student view and write out what if grades for ALL assignments in my course.

mkollman
Community Participant

Yep, this is still something faculty want.  Just had it come up again, as it does at the end fo every semester.  Please add this feature.

lstribling
Community Novice

Dear Canvas Creators - 

Please add this feature. It would really help out the teaching community. Students can add "What if" scores, but teachers cannot. We would really appreciate this. Thank you. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I think that an adjustment to the student view would allow instructors to use the student's what-if grading in the role mirroring a specific student, and also address other issues troubleshooting student canvas issues.  I have suggested it in Specific "real" student view 

lhughes
Community Participant

I really would like to see this feature added.  It would be very helpful!

ethomas48
Community Participant

Hello,

One more faculty voice requesting this feature. It would really help us counsel students.

Please implement!