When Anonymous Grading is on, don't add student name to filename in bulk downloaded files

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. June 1, 2016 - Wed. September 7, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Although it is tantalizingly close, turning on Canvas Studio: Anonymous Grading  (AG) feature in an account or subaccount does not guarantee anonymity to students using Assignments and Quizzes and we are unable to take advantage of it. We need this feature along with Completely Anonymous Grading, Persistently Blind Grading to receive 100 votes and get to the next stage. Please vote for both!

Problem: in a file upload Assignment or question in a Quiz, the student name is prepended to the file name  in bulk zip download ("Download All Files "button on the Assignment). Instructor who are downloading files for offline grading can easily tie student to their submission.

Solution: Name should not be prepended to file name during zip download. Name could be replaced with "Student#" where # is the same as the student numbering within Speedgrader, allowing for instructors to input grades in Speedgrader.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

15 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hello tita​:

Your idea, when combined with  and with   seems to have all the anonymous grading bases covered. I am glad you also referenced those ideas in your submission.

I did find several archived ideas similar to this trio that you may want to reference:

I will recommend that your idea open for voting during the next period.

It seems you are familiar with the feature idea process, but if you need to learn more about the voting process you can at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea! Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. June 1, 2016 - Wed. September 7, 2016.

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Keli,

Thank you for submitting this request.

It looks like this request, in combination with others, could address our law school's need for blind grading.

tita
Community Participant

Thank you  @kmeeusen ​ and  @Renee_Carney ​ for putting this up for a vote. This idea is important to us, and as I do more research, to many other schools.

tita
Community Participant

Thanks for your vote  @DanBurgess ​, on this and Completely Anonymous Grading, Persistently Blind Grading . Spread the word at UMichigan! We have supported our law school's need with anonymous grading in our Sakai instance, which is getting shut down at the end of the year--it's the one thing our law school needs to completely migrate. I'll be talking about a custom solutions we've built locally at Instructurecon, Submit gradable work anonymously to instructors , but our solution is pretty minimal and not scalable.

DanBurgess
Community Participant

tita​. I have added your presentation to my schedule.  Looking forward to learning more.

jeanne_kerl
Community Novice

Our law school faculty are really asking for this. Thanks so much for putting it out there for the vote.

tita
Community Participant

Hi, I'm about to talk about Submit Gradable Work Anonymously to Instructors here at Instructurecon in an hour. While we came up with our own app to deal with our limited use case (one exam, file upload, no transmission of question online), we'd love to take advantage of full Canvas functionality. I just realized that this "feature idea" is really more like a bug shared in common with ungraded anonymous surveys--if there is a file upload option in such a survey, download all files will also attach the student's name to the file name. Solving this feature idea/bug alone would probably work for us, though I think  adding  Completely Anonymous Grading, Persistently Blind Grading to the Anonymous Grading feature option is going to be the more universal fix and completely support it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-08-27)

tita
Community Participant

Hi Renee, thank you for the fix on Assignments, but the requested fix is also for Quizzes file upload question. Are there plans to fix this as well?