Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
kerry_gonzales
Community Novice

You are welcome Jeff. But I can't take credit. I found it here after scrolling for an eternity.  Now if Canvas would just implement this we could save two steps!

crystal_crabb
Community Novice

At the beginning when I started Ashford I was always encouraged to use Word and then copy and paste. I am aware that Canvas was designed to help students out and make it easier for them to work and find information. The one thing I have found hard about using the reply box with the discussions is there is no word count to know just how many words are present. There are often times that there are word limits and you have to copy and check the word count somewhere else. Please make this a top priority so that we are able to continue on with our work and do not have to take more steps. Thanks for your time and attention in this matter. Crystal Crabb  

michellel_ferna
Community Novice

Word count is an excellent idea! I look forward to this adjustment being made. I will utilize it often in my classes. 

timbennett
Community Novice

THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!! 

Our discussion grade is based on word count. At Fuller, we migrated from Moodle which had word count and not having it is a BIG deal. Having to type in a word doc and then paste into a canvas discussion is ridiculous. This has to be fixed!!!!!

mcohen
Community Explorer

Good luck with that, Tim. We've been asking for about three years and been told consistently that it's "in the works."

hansardc
Community Participant

We at Embry-Riddle are really hoping that this is going to be added sooner rather than later to the Speedgrader/DocViewer. It is very annoying to have to copy/paste into another application to determine how many words have been submitted. Can't wait for an update!stefaniesanders

erikagrafsky
Community Novice

Desperately need word count on discussion AND assignments using text box!!!!

timbennett
Community Novice

This can't happen fast enough... Please make it so; we need word counts so bad! 

timbennett
Community Novice

Fall is here and in full swing yet still no word count.... Please get us a word count in discussions. 

timbennett
Community Novice

Any update?