Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
mwe_sci
Community Explorer

Thanks, Tillis, for pointing out these additional details of a fully functional word counter. Dividing this specific topic into separate requests, each of which requires voting, is avoiding the issue. The votes for this request and for the Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading should be combined. And the obvious need for this fully-functional word counter (for both students and instructors) should make voting unnecessary.

mwe_sci
Community Explorer

Thanks, Kerry! I share Erika's appreciation, as I just made those changes with Mac Automator and it works great, although there's rich irony in Canvas instructors needing a 12-step program! Unfortunately, this fix only works for Mac users. There's also a Chrome extension called Word Counter Plus, but that only works for Chrome.

We instructors shouldn't have to individually fix this problem. Think of the work-hours saved if Canvas fixed this rather than thousands of us instructors going to the trouble of finding and creating fixes like these. As you clearly stated (in just 14 words!), the lack of this fully-functional tool in Canvas is "ridiculous."

kerry_gonzales
Community Novice

Hey Mark!

Even Automaker doesn't work all the time. I have to redo it when upgrading or clearing history. But at least it is something. Smiley Happy

jmcquarrie
Community Novice

I assign a ton of essay questions where the students need to reply in 100 to 200 words. It would save me hours and hours if I could see how many words a student has typed for each essay questions. It might also save me a trip to the eye doctor. Thanks!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@jmcquarrie , in case you didn't see the link stefaniesanders posted above, there's a different place where you can vote for word count to appear in grading tools:

Robinson171
Community Member

I desperately need word-count to speed up my grading. 

This is a must have that simply has not been depleted by CANVAS. 

BenJam1n
Community Participant

There is still no word count available for teachers when it comes to grading discussion posts.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@BenJam1n  Word count for discussion posts is part of the ongoing conversation at  Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading.

BenJam1n
Community Participant

Thank you!  We just received Canvas and faculty are looking for this option. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New