Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Awesome! Thanks for the update! 🙂

nbierma6
Community Novice

We link to wordcounttool.net in our assignment instructions but it will be nice not to have to do this step. We thought about trying to add a jQuery plugin but have resorted to the external link instead. Looking forward to the new feature!

mcohen
Community Explorer

I really need this urgently.  Students need to know in tests if they have reached my minimum word requirement on essay answers.

ted_coopman
Community Novice

yes! this would make my life much easier!

-TED

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi all, just wanted to let you know that the word count enhancement IS still in process. We are hesitant to commit to any timeline but hoping that we'll have this in production by fall start. I'll post again when I have more information.

mcohen
Community Explorer

Allison, I am demoing a Lockdown browser this quarter and so my students can no longer use the wordcount tools that are available on the net because they are locked into the test.  This will be invaluable to me.  Thanks so much. Mirelle

Community Novice

Hi Deactivated user,

I know that this features is still in development, but are there plans to include a word limit as well? We have some faculty that want their students to keep their responses short.

Thanks!

swintz
Community Novice

I would LOVE to have this for the Discussions since we require a certain number of words for original response to LA questions and another number for responses to other students' posts.  It would make our job as instructors much easier.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Andy,

I haven't been able to uncover anything currently planned or in development that would allow for limiting the number of words a user could input to the RCE.

Thanks,

SD

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Is this to be a word count only for students to see when writing or also for instructors to see when grading?