Word Count

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Can we get a word count tool for our courses?

Well, I don't know about a word count minimum requirement.  I was just thinking put something in like the corner of the text box or in the toolbar where it shows how many words have been written.  Yeah, I've had assignments where I had to have a 300 word minimum, and would have to copy and paste it into Word to figure out if I had enough.  I think this is an easy script to make, but I don't want to assume anything since I have very little programming experience or ability.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14438-canvas-production-release-notes-2018-04-21 .

133 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jeff,

I believe this will be a word count in the rich content editor, so anywhere the student have access to the RCE, such as when composing a discussion post, they would have access to it.

mcohen
Community Explorer

Scott, Any idea of a timeline?  Anxiously waiting...  Mirelle

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Mirelle,

I have made inquiries and will share any additional info that I get in return.

Thanks,

SD

ajacoby
Community Novice

@scottdennis , I was wondering if there was any update on this? Would be SO helpful.

jthoms
Community Novice

I'll second the inquiry. We unfortunately had an instructor go back to paper/pencil because this wasn't available :smileysilly:

mary_henry
Community Explorer

Thanks for the tip!!!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Alex and John,

There is a major update in the works for the rich content editor.  I don't know when it will be complete but have been told that this may be possible in the new editor.

Sorry for the delay.

mtw56
Community Member

Thanks Scott,

Is there a list of features that will be added, or is this still in the planning phase?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Mark,

They are still in the planning stages.  Part of that planning will be to sift through the community feature ideas, looking for content editor related ones.  Smiley Happy

powellj
Community Participant

@scottdennis : Is it possible to get this information to also be included in the Speedgrader/Crocodoc? The conversation here seems to indicate the feature is being added to the RCE. However, the instructors who grade papers which have been submitted as uploaded files, wont have access to that RCE when grading. There was an idea submitted specifically to add that function to the Speedgrader/Crocodoc ( ), but was never open for voting and the comment from Renee pointed here. However, this feature being added to the RCE wouldn't resolve the Speedgrader issue at all. The workaround is to copy and paste the paper into Word or download the submitted file, but when the instructor is able to do everything else via the SG, it becomes quite tedious to do that for every single paper on every assignment.