Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi gsaltveit

I see that your previously submitted idea at , and which received the following comment from Instructure:

From Christi Wruck:

Hey folks,

For now, I think we're at the mercy of Crocodoc on this one... they are the ones that generate the PDF's that you view and mark up in Speedgrader. We may be able to do something with Text Entry submissions... but that would be the only one I can think of where we would have control over the word count. Were you hoping to have the word count on document submissions or Text Entry submissions?

Following that comment, I don't know if this will be re-opened for voting.

Let's see what happens, because this would sure be convenient.

KLM

stephent
Community Novice

An English professor at my school made a plug in for Chrome that adds a word counter that works with .docx submissions.  So far it works really well.  So I guess I know it is technically possible (since I am currently using it).  I don't want to give out his contact information because this was something he just built for me as a favor.

download (3).png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
carrie
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Wow! That's amazing!
If he would be willing to share I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy trying out the plugin or perhaps reiterating on it and contributing to its development.

dlm08a
Community Novice

This will be a useful tool for students and teachers, with no downside that I can imagine. Please just add it.

shanaegalloway
Community Member

Now that the Canvas DocViewer has been pushed out, is this something that could be incorporated into it?

jbuchholz
Community Contributor

I was just researching this very thing for a faculty member today and I am hoping that this tool comes online soon. However, this may be an alternative until Canvas has its own word count tool.

"Word Count Tool": https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-count-tool/ibjgdahgcdkpdlbkadidojhfddflblcm?utm_sourc...

pagem1
Community Novice

I really want a word count for discussion posts (not just assignments)! Please Smiley Happy

bryan_biggers
Community Participant

Thanks for suggesting the Word Counting Tool. I just recommended "Word Count Plus" for  a professor instead. It is a little easier to use, as you just highlight all the text, right click an then click on "Word Count Plus." Instead of opening a new tab, it displays it on the page in a popup window that you close when you're ready. Seems a little easier than having to manage another window.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

I'd like this feature request to come back to life, now that the Word Count feature is available in the RCE for the author. See Canvas Beta Release Notes (2018-04-09)‌ and look at Word Count.

So students will now see the word count in their RCE, however, teachers still will not be able to see the word count in SpeedGrader.

Now that SG has the new viewer, can this Word Count feature for teachers be re-considered?