Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
rkirk7
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful. Currently, if a professor is not able to eyeball the word count then they have to actually download every assignment simply to check that, which eliminates a lot of the benefits of Speed Grader.

thayerm
Community Novice

Yes, Please. A word count for all written submissions (discussions, text entry, and word documents would be very helpful. Right now there is a word count when creating content but it would be so helpful if a word count was available to instructors when GRADING work. Thank you. 

shannondunn
Community Novice

I up voted this, but I agree with many here that the word count needs to be available across assignments (and assignment types), not just in Doc Viewer. As others have mentioned, this is a basic feature as well as a basic instructional need. Suggesting that workarounds are easy deflects from the fact that they require instructors to take extra steps that over even a short period of time add up.

plbutler
Community Novice

I whole heartedly agree. This could not happen fast enough for me. 

plbutler
Community Novice

Especially when you multiply it nearly 800 students which is the case for some courses. 

lmaneevone
Community Member

Please implement this feature. When requiring students to meet a specific word count, it would be nice to be able to check it without having to download each assignment. The idea of saving time with speed grader is minimal if I have to download and check every assignment for word count. While I don't always require it, on all essays I do, and need them to submit it to reference with turnitin. PLEASE add this feature.

sebaney
Community Novice

Yes, a word count would be extremely helpful!

keenan_reesor
Community Novice

This is a no-brainer!

laurinjl
Community Novice

Word count is the only functionality that I miss in Canvas. Grading takes too long as I must cut--and-paste every assignment into MSWord before completing the rubric. Is word count in our future?

roniabusaad
Community Member

Need this! Would seriously save time. Even better would be to tie this directly to the grading rubric since my rubric includes a minimum word count requirement. Right now, I'm having to select and use "Word Count" extension for Chrome. It's an unnecessary extra step for review. Please add this!