Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
lewisale
Community Champion

538b2fa8965d0a35076d47b01ee0a336c344953e342c21c84755df3fb83de749 thanks for sharing your Speedgrader Word Count resource you developed.  I was able to add your browser enhancement, and I found the word count accurate.  Recently, I noticed the word count, unfortunately, doesn't appear anymore, and I wondered if perhaps Google or Chrome made updates that impacted the tool. 😞   

-Alex

JamesAshby
Community Contributor

@lewisale ‌ Thanks for the heads up! Turns out Canvas did tweak the HTML without me realizing it. I've adjusted the script. If you click the Tampermonkey icon in the upper right corner of your browser and choose "Check for userscript updates", the script should update automatically. Let me know if it's working at that point! I'll start testing this when new updates are released in case Canvas adjusts anything else.

JamesAshby
Community Contributor

@mcphersona7 ‌: sorry for the delayed response. I've had my hands full with end-of-term stuff and haven't had a chance to look into this more. But the enhancement is still working for me on the latest version of Chrome, so I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. If you're still having trouble, can you send me a direct message and let me know what specific error is displaying in your Chrome console?

mcphersona7
Community Explorer

Hi James,

I just went back and tried it again, I realise now that our speedgrader documents load from canvadocs-syd.instructure.com rather than just canvadocs.instructure.com

It works for me now, thank you!

Edit: Maybe change line 5 to "// @include      https://canvadocs*.instructure.com/*"

lewisale
Community Champion

538b2fa8965d0a35076d47b01ee0a336c344953e342c21c84755df3fb83de749‌ thank you SO much! I am back in business with the word count. 🙂

-Alex

JamesAshby
Community Contributor

@mcphersona7  Oh great, thanks! I'll make that change.

cadman_shane
Community Explorer

Hi James! I finally got around to adding it and it works great. Thank you!!!

mathieu
Community Participant

This seems pretty simple from a programming point of view. This has been a feature suggestion for nearly 5 years and nothing has been done yet?

annmarierill
Community Member

We just moved to Canvas, and our instructors are desperate for the word count feature, especially when trying to grade discussion posts. I was surprised to see that it is not already a feature--a feature that we did have in what was a less-robust LMS that we used over the past 8 years.

Sibel
Community Member

Hi Community Team, is there any updates on this issue/idea?