Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
JusVos
Community Member

@538b2fa8965d0a3 Thanks for the word count feature! It is working for me. One thing to note is that the count is consistently around 30 words higher then the count provided by Word. But overall a very helpful tool. 

Sibel
Community Member

Dear @JusVos, could you explain how you get the Word Count to work? I havent read all the comments to see where exactly this feature has been mentioned. Would appreciate if you could just give a short explanation:)

eckauffman
Community Member

I vote for this feature! I think if you asked most faculty they would agree. Will there be any re-consideration for this anytime soon??

KyraK
Community Member

I totally agree here, it's a simple and very basic feature, can't see why SpeedGrader shouldn't have this. Hope it will be taken into consideration again!

donnahunter
Community Explorer

Yes!

When my kids do a text entry assignment, they have a word count that shows them how many words they've typed. But when I open it in SpeedGrader, it doesn't tell me how many words it is. If I want to know I have to copy and paste it into Word to get a word count.

donnahunter
Community Explorer

When my kids do a text entry assignment, they have a word count that shows them how many words they've typed. But when I open it in SpeedGrader, it doesn't tell me how many words it is. If I want to know I have to copy and paste it into Word to get a word count.

derek_johnston
Community Explorer

This is an essential feature, really, and should operate for quizzes as well as for continuous prose assignments. How do we get this put in place? I see this has been a request since at least 2015.

Robinson171
Community Member

Please consider word count as an option for both discussions and uploaded papers.

Many of my assignments require a specific word count. Not having this feature significantly extends my grading. 

ginaki
Community Member

Wordcount in Speedgrader is a feature our teachers at KI are asking for. Would help grading alot!

k_astemborski
Community Novice

We would like a word count in student submissions.