Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
kingsburybrunet
Community Explorer

I am also looking for a way to get word counts on assignments and quizzes (some of our compositions are set up as Canvas quizzes) in the SpeedGrader.

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Add my vote.  Just had a consultation with an instructor who was looking for this feature.

Asmahan
Community Member

Add a Word Count feature to Text Entry. 

Asmahan
Community Member

Adding a Word Count feature to the text entry submission will help with grading and with rubrics. Students will be able to see whether their submission fulfills minimum requirements of length. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @Asmahan...

I just tested this in my own sandbox course, and an assignment with the option of Text Entry does, in fact, have an indicator for the number of words...as shown in this screenshot.  Students should be able to see this as they are working on their assignment to submit it to their instructor.

TextEntryAssignment.jpg

A similar example, found under the heading "Submit Text Entry", can be found in this Guide: How do I submit a text entry assignment? - Canvas Community.

Hope this helps.

Asmahan
Community Member

@Chris_Hofer Thanks, you posted the screenshot for a student. As an instructor/grader, when I open the Speedgrader and start grading, the Word Count itself does not show. Or, am I missing it? 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Asmahan ...

Unfortunately, I don't see anywhere in the SpeedGrader where a word count is displayed from a student's submission of a Text Entry assignment.  It's a work-around, but there are several websites that you can paste in text to get a word count (Google "word count") ... or you could even paste in the text to a Microsoft Word document to get similar results.  Show word count - Office Support  You had mentioned, "Students will be able to see whether their submission fulfills minimum requirements of length" ... so that's what I was responding to.  🙂  Hope this helps.

Asmahan
Community Member

@Chris_Hofer Thanks. I am aware of other ways to find out the Word Count; I just wanted to suggest it to Canvas as a new feature to make our work as teachers and graders easier. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Asmahan Yup!  I also decided to check the Google Extension Store, and I found a little plug-in you could add to Chrome that lets you highlight text and then right-click on it, and you get an option to view info similar to this.  This might be even faster for the time being.

WordCount_TextEntry.jpg

rnead
Community Member

It would be a great resource if both main posts and reply posts had a word count that was automatically displayed when the faculty went in to grade the discussions. This would make grading more efficient so that we can focus more directly on the individual student and their post content instead of having the extra steps.

Possible Solution?:

As there is already a word counter in the discussions for the students to use for their posts - I a wondering if they could just sync the information into the Gradebook for that respective student - so probably a relatively quick fix.

Why This is Beneficial:

Some courses are more fluid in re: to content that is being graded.  In discussions, the primary focus may be on grading using a set word count and deadline.

For example, I may have a question in the discussion prompt like: "In 300 quality/substantive words (or more) define using the textbook each stage of Knapp's Relational Model. Provide examples from your experiences. Main post is due on Monday. 2 Reply posts are due on Friday."

The student may have defined the stages using the textbook but on some level I have an unintentional bias to the example (even though it is relevant) and mark the student down. As I am aware of this potential bias I try to focus more on the clear standards (300+ words, use of textbook, deadline - and does it generally look like they answered the question)

I find that alot of my time is copying/pasting the students main posts and replies into word to get a word count. This time would more effective and productive in other areas such as more direct one-on-one contact with my students or instead of doing the word count providing regular effective contact in the grading replies to the students.

I think including a word count may also be beneficial in other areas such as for assignments for instructors who may have sent word requirements for assignments submitted.

Multiple Due Dates?:

Also if there could be multiple deadlines for discussions that would be helpful (i.e set Main Post deadline for Monday and Reply posts deadline for Friday) - I am not sure how this could be set up in the system as I think that there would need to be more code writing on this one to allow for two grade dates. Something like (1 post = due date filed; 2+ posts submitted - secondary due date field in the assignment).