cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

(36)
It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

127 Comments
RitwikBanerji
Surveyor

I'd love to see this feature as well, especially in discussion forums.

I think my students would as well so that they can keep themselves from losing points for not hitting the word count 😉

joe_fahs
Learner

Another vote to add a word count to SpeedGrader. Maybe a Canvas Deploy?

There are extensions and websites that allow counting and other text tools but I worry about privacy when analyzing student work. 

thomashale3
Surveyor

I agree! As it is, I have to save (which is a PDF), then copy all and past to Word. If I copy all directly from the SpeedGrader window, it gives a wrong count because words get concatenated.

jeanette_clayto
Surveyor

Don't see how one votes, but I badly want to vote for the word count for speed grader! It's a colossal loss of time for me having to copy-paste into some other word processor, remove footnotes, run word count then delete the text. Am REALLY wishing I didn't have to use Canvas for this reason, when a doc in Google Drive is so much more manageable! Why is it not happening? Seems to me like a pretty basic need that should have been dealt with long ago!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jeanette_clayto ...

Voting has been replaced with a star rating system.  You can read more about it in this Guide: How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu... - Canvas Community.

brecked
Surveyor

Please consider the following:

I require a robust initial discussion post and a minimum of two responses to the posts of other students regarding the weekly assigned topics. One requirement is that the initial post is a minimum of 150 words and each of the two responses is a minimum of 100 words. This helps ensure the academic rigor required for online learning.  I have had too many students respond, "Hey dude, I liked your post."  

Please consider adding a feature that shows me a word count when I go to grade these discussion posts. The alternative is I must cut and paste these discussions into MSWord to get the word count, which is time-consuming.  Maybe also consider a feature that the instructor can enable that sets the required minimum (and maybe maximum) word count for Discussions and Responses. The latter, if set, would not allow the student to submit it their post did not meet the word count required for the assignment. 

Thank you for this consideration! 

Don Brecken, Ferris State University, brecked@ferris.edu, 616-286-8665 

StephWitcher1
Surveyor

Why is this not a thing yet? Canvas, please add the word count feature.  The system is already counting the words since it shows a word count to students.