Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
PaulAustinTx
Community Participant

After bringing up a new k-12 school, this is the largest pain point teachers are having. It's from teachers that used google docs before and are now getting a speed-grader experience, which is better in some ways. But yes Word Count is asked for quite a bit. 

I am a bit new to the community, I see the topic is open for discussion, I did not see where the actual upvotes go. Any pointers there.

Thank You!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@PaulAustinTx Thanks for asking. Idea Conversations are based on a ratings/comments system, and you can read more about it in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community? —and we place great value on comments like yours that tell us how development of a feature will enhance teaching and learning.

PaulAustinTx
Community Participant

Thank you @Stef_retired, one nice point, in as much as this is sorely missed since it was so easy using last year's workflow. The workarounds are modest for most. (browser plugi-in) or copy-paste to another app. The teachers have been very enthusiastic.

Bob3171
Community Member

I am new to Canvas and love it.  If I am not mistaken, this conversation about word count has been going on for six years now.  Some simple information regarding current status, if any, along with information about the technical difficulty.  Seems like the demand is there; just need some progress on a solution.  Most assignments at our university have a word count requirement built into the rubric.  As stated by so many others here, this tool would be incredibly useful for faculty.

lav9
Community Member

I would really love for discussion board posts to list the word count of each submission where the instructor can easily see it without having to hit edit on each post to see the word count. This would save me so much time, especially if this would show up on the mobile app as well. I have word count minimums for my discussion board assignments, and this would definitely help out!

ElizaNoh
Community Member

It would be helpful to have a word count show within student submissions to Speed Grader or to Discussions.

jbielecki
Community Participant

Yes! Great suggestion!

sarah_speight
Community Novice

Agree!  Need Speedgrader to have word count option so I don't have to copy and paste their work into a doc or download it

csheridan
Community Member

I would also like to see the word count enabled for all documents uploaded in speed grader- it would be very helpful when grading essays.

MNissen
Community Novice

It would be nice and so much more user friendly if we could check word count in a Canvas submission.