Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations. 

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November. 

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available. 

joe_fahs
Community Participant

Thanks, @jsailor! This is an important step forward.

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Thanks, @jsailor for the update.  Looking forward to the November release!

finej
Community Member

I would like to be able to check the word count of student responses. Perhaps, the professor could highlight the passage and click a button and get the word count. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta
Comments from Instructure

The word count for assignment text submissions is displayed in SpeedGrader. This change allows instructors to display the word count in assignment text submissions while grading in SpeedGrader. (Please refer to the product manager's comment on how these enhancements will be iterated.)

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-11-20).

kevin_kolbe
Community Member

GREAT idea!

david_gersh
Community Member

This would be very helpful if it also showed word count in discussion entries.  When we used Moodle, the word count appeared at the end of each posting in the grading screen.  I know I can see the word count if I actually go to the comment and click EDIT, but that is time-consuming and could result in an accidental modification of a student's posting.

JoshuaMobley
Community Novice

Please include a word-count function in Speedgrader. If you assign specific word-count requirements, you have to download the file and open it in Word to see the total words. 

mary_powell
Community Explorer

We need this in the teacher app, and we need it for discussions as well.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Hello - I've observed the word count feature does not capture words placed into tables.