Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

FWIW, this Feature Idea, , was open for voting in an earlier voting period, and it didn't get enough votes to move on to the next stage.  Maybe it can get some more votes this time 'round.

powellj
Community Participant

Hi  @Renee_Carney ,

I just came across this idea submission as well as the one you linked to above. However, unless I'm misunderstanding the comment chain in that post ( ), it is related to adding that functionality to the RCE. Specifically, Scott Dennis' comment was, "While I can't share a specific timeline, it looks promising that we will be able to add a word count to the RCE where a user will see a running count as they are typing in the editor."  However, this idea post here is requesting that the word count be added to the SpeedGrader/Crocodoc - which is actually the one we are interested in the most. It would not serve any purpose for the instructors who grade papers, submitted as an uploaded file, to have a Word Count in the RCE.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@powellj ​

Thank you so much for your response.  I did goof on this one.  I miss-read it.  My apologies.

We can open this idea for voting, however, if it is ok with you I would like to take 'crocodoc' out of the description.  I know it is the tool used in the SpeedGrader now, but we have no control over the development of Crocodoc. 

Thanks again.  Your idea will open for voting December 2nd.

snewman
Community Explorer

Hey, it's Dec 2! When can we vote?

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thank you for your patience, snewman​.  This idea is now open for voting.

pcraig
Community Novice

This is a fantastic idea, it would save so much time for our faculty and staff!

carrie
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Word count in RCE would be great to help students self-monitor and meet the requirements for Discussion replies and Assignment text entry submissions.

But yes, word count in SpeedGrader would be brilliant so teachers can see, at a glance, if that requirement was met. This would be especially helpful when teachers have word count as part of the rubric.

lindalee
Community Contributor

Currently, to determine whether students have met the required length requirements in an assignment, it's necessary to open a file in a word processor, use Turnitin and look at the summary of the originality report, or copy and paste the content of an essay into a blank word processing file. Though each workaround will yield a word count, they each involve several extra steps that add time to evaluating a student's submission.

asatkins
Community Novice

This would be great for essay questions on quiz submissions in speedgrader. I think our English faculty especially would appreciate it!