Word count for Speedgrader (DocViewer) grading

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be extremely helpful for student submissions to also include a word count when we are correcting them on Speedgrader through DocViewer.

Thank you!

Comments from Instructure

Per comment:

Hello, all! Just a quick note to share that this idea is currently being worked on. There are a couple things to consider in this request and we will need to address them in iterations.

Our first step is to add word count to SpeedGrader for text entry assignments. Our currently plan is for this to be available in November.

Our next step is to do some additional scoping for how to accomplish this with files uploaded and viewed through DocViewer. More to come on this as we look into if this can be accurately and consistently made available.

151 Comments
mortonanngernsb
Community Novice

It would be great if there was a Word Count in Speed Grader also for (graded) Discussion posts (as well as graded Assignments).

mary_lukasik
Community Novice

The tool would help any faculty who requires essays.  Our Intensive English department requires a specific word count for essays in various levels.

anna_go
Community Novice

A Word Count feature in Speed Grader would promote a linear and focused writing style that is beneficial in developing effective communication skills. 

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I could not agree more. 

In a course section having +35 students not having to do this would save a great deal of time.    That said, I am getting rather good at visually estimating word counts.  :smileycool:

Jeff_F
Community Champion

@anna_go ​ - what might be a counter argument against integrating a word count?  Would a visual indication of the word count have students focusing on 'how many more words do I have to type' vs. the construct of their post? 

This reminds me of the concrete vs. abstract thought process and how such a word count indicator might be a distraction.  Is this a consideration?

mortonanngernsb
Community Novice

In a course of 130 students, each of whom I require to write at least 200 words five times a week, this feature would help me a lot, too.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I can relate.  To mix it up, starting this term I redesigned a course so some of the writing assignments transitioned to become video/ webcam recordings.  This approach affords variety to the activities.  I am hoping this change provides benefits to the students and instructors alike.  With over a thousand student enrollments in this single course each year we'll have a sizable population to review.  Cheers!

anna_go
Community Novice

Hi Jeff,

A word count feature may be distracting and affect the writer’s choice of words in either brevity or filler sake.

But, overall a word count would outweigh the benefits for the student as well as the instructor.

Respectfully,

Anna

Anna Go

Program Coordinator | Online Continuing Education | Houston Community College

PH 713.718.8185 | FX 713.718.5120 | Email anna.go@hccs.edu<mailto:anna.go@hccs.edu> | Website www.hccs.edu/ceonline<http://www.hccs.edu/ceonline>;

Online continuing educations offers just-in-time, close skill gaps and refresher training courses – enroll today.

mortonanngernsb
Community Novice

Just to play devil's advocate here, many of my students compose their posts (and their written assignments) in Microsoft Word (or other word processors) and then copy and paste them into the Discussion Board (or into the assignment text box). And students are using Microsoft Word (or other word processors) for most all of their writing assignments in most all other classes.

Microsoft Word (and most other word processors) *already* have a visible word count feature. So whatever beneficial or detrimental effect having a visible word count feature in Canvas's RCE (Rich Content Editor) would have on students' writing, it's already having that effect is my guess.

Cheers - Morton

anna_go
Community Novice

I agree Morton – there’s always a workaround. Cheers, Anna

Anna Go

Program Coordinator | Online Continuing Education | Houston Community College

PH 713.718.8185 | FX 713.718.5120 | Email anna.go@hccs.edu<mailto:anna.go@hccs.edu> | Website www.hccs.edu/ceonline<http://www.hccs.edu/ceonline>;

Online continuing educations offers just-in-time, close skill gaps and refresher training courses – enroll today.