accept course invites in mobile app

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be very nice if the ability to accept course invitations was available in the mobile app.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14089-canvas-student-release-notes-ios-320 .

46 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

My testing confirms that students can contribute to a discussion without first accepting the invite on the web first. With that, you can't turn in a assignment though. The "turn in" text is greyed out.

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

Good idea! Totally makes sense.

jennifer_feeney
Community Member

Good Idea.  I would like to see this added.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

77296_pastedImage_0.png110111_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression. After Community members submit feature ideas, they are reviewed by the Community Team and put to a vote by the community-at-large. If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived. Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes. Some feature ideas that do not receive the initial 100 votes can be resubmitted by Community members. As people's needs change, sometimes an old idea gets new traction. Oftentimes similar archived feature ideas are still evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

I just gave this idea the obligatory Panda-Cat because it didn't make it to the 3-month, 100 vote cut off.  That being true, it did make it to 75 votes, which makes it a giant amongst mobile related ideas.  We are working with Product to identify how popular or relevant mobile related ideas are compared to other mobile ideas.  This one will feature prominently.

@Renee_Carney ​, stefaniesanders

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

Please keep me posted on what your Mobile Team decides as this was requested by  @rseilham ​, UCF's Mobile Guru.

rseilham
Community Champion

Thanks for the response. It's no surprise that I'm passionate about mobile ideas not being compared to web idea. 75 votes is very impressive. I'm glad to hear there is some consideration to not hold mobile ideas to the 100 vote threshold. I would also suggest that you look at previous mobile idea vote counts and figure out a number that is more "fair" for mobile ideas. Thanks again!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

We love your passion Ryan!

Just want to clarify - we will be holding mobile ideas to the 100 vote threshold.  What Scott was sharing was that we often take feature themes (ie. mobile, gradebook, discussions, etc) and look at them holistically.  Sometimes features that do not make the 100 votes will end up on our radar, and mobile is one of those categories we take note of.  If/when a mobile idea reaches 100+ votes it will be officially addressed by our product team per our voting process​.​  However, you may see some addressed or developed that did not reach 100+ votes, because they just make sense!

rseilham
Community Champion

I'm glad to hear there is a process for a mobile idea that is less than 100 votes. Especially since this is there has only been one mobile specific request to ever reach 100 votes in the new community. Maybe there is a better process than immediately adding a PandaCat? I still wish the threshold was moved to something a little more realistic, around 75, but then again I want to respect the process. (:  Thanks.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Very good response  @Renee_Carney ​!

And it is not just mobile request that Instructure responds to in that manner. I have seen other examples. If it makes sense, then it is added to the Canvas road map. The converse is also true: if something does not make sense, does not reflect the product philosophy or is near impossible to accomplish within the current product structure, all the votes on Earth will not make it happen.

The really cool thing is that Canvas will usually tell us why in either scenario.