[New Quizzes] adaptive learning - quiz branching

It would be excellent if the quiz tool enabled branching for adaptive learning. If quizzes were embedded into content then potentially students could be directed to a particular piece of content based on their response to a question.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

34 Comments
dbeck
Community Novice

Thanks, Deactivated user​.  mattg​, any chance you've had some time to look at this?  Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings.

As Jason stated above, please do continue to share your use cases and applications for this type of feature.  This idea is on his radar, but not something that will be developed for a while.  We are going to archive this thread.  Be sure to 'follow' it to receive notifications whenever it is updated.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

jleamon
Community Explorer

I think the primary use case for us is as the OP said, branching logic within a quiz: if a student gets a question wrong, they're shown an additional piece of educational material before they move to the next question. Adaptive learning Adaptive learning - Wikipedia  serves an entirely different use case than item response theory. The OP linked the original question with Canvas' quiz feature, because adaptive learning could be implemented as a quiz. While quizzes and item response theory both serve assessment, i think adaptive learning is only tangentially associated with measuring performance. It's also not the "very sophisticated" (and difficult to implement) process that Jason Sparks references. It can be implemented using the features already present in Google Forms for example (Show questions based on answers - Docs editors Help ), and could conceivably fit in Canvas as either a quiz or a module. Incidentally, both Moodle and Sakai have this feature.

pattyd
Community Novice

Perhaps something as simple as adding a requisite tied to an assignment and or quiz such as score more than ______, and score less then ________.  Then we could set the assignment group to drop the lowest score for the two assignments or quizzes.  Or am I overly simplifying it?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

sfowler
Community Explorer

I was surprised quiz branching was not a central part of the quizzes.next update. Adaptive learning has been used in top publishers' content for years, even Google offers branching in their free forms.

I hope Canvas commits to this soon.

leggatme
Community Novice

We'd really appreciate this feature in Quizzes.next too here in Birmingham, UK.

j_l_lonbay
Community Member

Yes please it will be very good to have this feature 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I believe that if you turn on mastery paths, you can decide based on a student's quiz score to assign different follow up assignments.  Multiple quizzes combined with mastery paths might produce the quiz branching you are looking for