[Course Import/Export] add a stop/cancel button for imports

A stop or cancel button on imports could be a lifesaver for all Canvas users. I see it being helpful in scenarios such as:

• You start to import the wrong content
  • You accidentally selected "All content" when you intended to choose "Select specific content," or vice versa
  • You forgot to adjust or remove the dates
  • An import is stuck in queue, and you want to cancel it before starting another import (This would prevent the queued import from running at a later time and overwriting course content.)
28 Comments
lewisale
Community Champion

I have made the mistake of selecting the entire Course Import. 😢 Unfortunately, I had to delete the modules, assignments, etc. manually because there is no "escape button."  The course was an active course with students, so I could not refresh the course. 

It would be helpful to have either a cancel button once a course import has started. Or, a message similar to what is presented when we delete something from Canvas. For instance, a statement that pops up, "Are you sure you want to import the entire course?"

Best,

--Alexandria 

kingsburybrunet
Community Explorer

When importing course content, I would like an option to cancel the process during the "Queued" and "Running" phases on the user end (e.g. a "Cancel" button on the screen or a keyboard command akin to CTRL-Z, etc.) 

I recently had the infuriating experience of realizing that I had messed up a content migration (accidentally copying an entire sandbox rather than selecting specific content) and I would have given anything for a way to cancel or interrupt the migration while it was queued and/or running.

I know there is an existing ideas conversation about giving users the option to undo a content migration after it has been completed. I am in favor of that as well - it would have also solved my problem - but what I am requesting here is different. When a user initiates a content migration, there is usually a little bit of lag time while the operation is queued and then it takes a little bit of time to run to completion. If, during that time, the user realizes they made a mistake, it would be helpful to have an "undo" option, something like CTRL-Z or "Cancel Content Migration" that we could use to solve our own problem.

After my mistake yesterday, when I was chatting with Canvas Help, I asked about this and was told that the only way to do it would be to contact Canvas Help and ask them to cancel the content migration. The problem is, that is an unrealistic and unfeasible "solution": there's usually not enough time during the Queued and Running phases to be able to navigate to Canvas Help, explain the problem and hope that the person on the other end could locate and cancel the content migration before it finishes. In fact, the person told me "it usually doesn't work anyway". The other solution they offered me was to reset the course and redo the content migration - that could work at the beginning of a term if one made a mistake in the initial course setup, but it's not an appropriate solution at any point once the course is underway, student work has been submitted, the grade book has been populated, etc. Having a quick, accesible way to cancel a pending or in-progress content migration on the user end would avoid a lot of headache in these kinds of situations. Thanks to all who are able to weigh in on this!

slshows
Community Novice

I accidentally copied an entire course rather than the single assignment I needed. Though I recognized this error after I did it, there was no way to disrupt the import once it began. Since my two courses are so similar (different grade levels, same content), I'm running the risk of my content overwriting. 

A button that stops this action before it is allowed to complete or even a dialogue box (an "Are you sure?"-type box) could have helped me avoid this issue. 

klavinss
Community Member

I'd like to reiterate the comment a previous user made about how this is not already a thing, 5+ years after this conversation started. Today after trying to click the box to select content from "Modules" of our master course, the program decided instead to import all of the modules and overwrite all of the work I had done on customizing those modules for my section for the entire semester.

There needs to be a cancel option for imports and/or a feature that confirms your choices before actually executing an import.

isomtd
Community Member

Yes, this would be a great addition!! In general, I love the import button but sometimes click the wrong content. 😉

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

No2nMorrow
Community Member
Problem statement:

Clear example: https://canvas.tccd.edu/courses/92075/content_migrations The instructor copied a course over but in the middle of the process, the progress stopped and is now stuck on running and has been on this status for days. The instructor then imported after the process and updated the course. If the first one is completed, the data will be amended or overwritten. This is a live course which will cause setbacks once the course begins.

Proposed solution:

The proposed solution would be to give the ability to LMS Admin to stop the process. As it stands, the process my complete, and then the course will be corrupted with data that will cause confusion and potential setbacks to stakeholders.

User role(s):

admin