add newly accept course to course menu by default

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

After someone accepts a course invitation, could Canvas add the course, by default, to the course menu? That way, people would see the course immediately in their drop-down lists and could remove it later.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-12-10)

34 Comments
buddyhall
Community Champion

I don't think even Instructure expected the dashboard to start working like this even though they say it's how it always worked. We have tier 1 support and at the start of the term Canvas support was directing, "I don't see my courses" back to us thinking they weren't enrolled. We told a lot of people to click All Courses and star the new ones.

christopher_mcg
Community Member

And had to inform the users that once they "starred" a course, Canvas' behavior forever changed and they would now always have to go in and Star/Favorite every new course they enrolled in, every semester.  I apologized to many, many, many students that Canvas did not inform them about this change in its behavior upon Favoriting a course.

LisaCasto
Community Novice

Absolutely agree! So confusing in January! 

kharris1186
Community Explorer

Absolutely necessary. This is too confusing and hurts a student trying to get started and already feeling lost in online courses.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi all,

This is interesting and relates to another idea I had around favoriting courses, which I'd like to run past you. What if, by default, all courses are "favorites" and show up with a star on the Courses page. Then if you want to remove a course from your course menu, you would be required to unfavorite it by deselecting its star.

Then to incorporate your idea, when a user accepts an enrollment, their course appears starred on the courses page and also appear in the course menu.

What are your thoughts around that?

Jeff_F
Community Champion

We may have a bell ringer here folks.

Couple this approach with a conclude policy and we would all be certain to have a clean and functional course menu.

kona
Community Champion

If it means it can get implemented sooner rather than later, then yes, I'm all for it!

ejackson
Community Champion

That would definitely work for me!

buddyhall
Community Champion

Yes! I think this is an elegant solution to this problem.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Deactivated user, favoriting courses by default for newly active enrollments sounds ideal. It's what all of our institution's users expect to happen.