adding New Quiz stimulus and attached questions to an Item Bank

0 Likes
(28)

Please provide this functionality at your earliest.

This is an important quiz functionality and I cannot believe it does not exist. Very inconvenient.

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @AP105 -

Could you explain a little more about what you're experiencing as you build a quiz? Are you working in Classic Quizzes or New Quizzes? What are you hoping to see in Canvas that is currently unavailable?

I'm looking forward to collaborating with you!

lic
Community Participant

When banking a stimulus, just the stimulus is saved. For stimulus in an item bank to actually be of any kind of use to anybody, the questions connected to the stimulus should be saved in the bank with the stimulus.
I am working with new quizzes and found threads and questions about this dating back to 2015, so it is not exactly a new issue.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KrisBumsted
Community Member

I agree! I just spent two days creating a quiz with stimulus questions that each had three questions attached to the stimulus. I just assumed that I could item bank those and randomize the stimulus question and the attached questions would follow. THEY DON'T. This pretty much makes the stimulus feature worthless for what many people need. This is a huge flaw. Please fix.

rshafer
Community Member

I agree that this should be a very high priority for improving Canvas New Quizzes. The Stimulus question type is USELESS to me without this functionality.

I need to have a set of questions (in a specific order) permanently attached to a stimulus in order to ask my economics students a series of questions all related to the same market data, (ie, walking them step-by-step through the process of finding the long run equilibrium given a certain pair of Supply and Demand functions) so that I can offer in one quiz a variety of versions of the market data. Otherwise, the students cannot take different versions of the same quiz. 

Since there is no way to pose a series of related questions drawn from my item banks, I have to make each question drawn randomly from my item banks a stand-alone question. It would be so much better for my students if they could work through one problem that unfolds over multiple quiz questions.

I see little point to adding a stimulus to an item bank if drawing the stimulus from the item bank does not also add to the quiz the questions that were designed to accompany it.

cvalle
Community Participant

I cannot use the stimulus type until it can be stored in an item back with permanently attached sub-questions.

mrspierce
Community Member

Yes, this issue really needs to be solved. It is absurd that Canvas hasn't been able to improve the functionality of stimuli/associated questions in new quizzes. I'm seeing similar requests from years ago; I can't believe that it hasn't been improved by now.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.