[Discussions] agree / disagree in Discussions

When posting a discussion, rather than the only "reply" button, it would be great to have some other options with an "agree" and "disagree" buttons so that people can express their opinions, argue, debate.

I've seen this feature in another LMS I used and it was massively used by students.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Thanks for sharing these ideas, @JBMaurice . We can move a request for an Agree | Disagree feature in discussions forward for broader discussion; it's similar to, and along the lines of  Add a dislike button to Discussions, which if implemented would allow for a thumbs-up (Agree) or a thumbs-down (Disagree).

The second idea would be better positioned as its own, separate conversation so that interested members can discuss the logistics of such a feature. For example, I'd be concerned that a student might use the "Report a Problem" button in the discussion reply options to report an issue that turns out to be specific to their device or browser settings, or arises from a local issue with their internet connection, and having their report publicly visible to everyone in the discussion might generate confusion among members who aren't experiencing that issue, and will also sidetrack the discussion itself from hewing to the learning prompt. Furthermore, it's not clear how and where follow-up on the ticket, which normally occurs as part of the email conversation generated by the ticket, would take place.

These are just a few of the concerns that arose when I read the request; others might be able to offer support for the idea based on their experience with moderating student discussions, or they might express additional reservations.

Would you please edit the idea to remove the second suggestion and author a new one specific to that idea? Also, please let us know if the request to add a Dislike button would satisfy the first suggestion.

Thanks again!

JBMaurice
Community Explorer

Thanks Stephanie! Done!

I guess a dislike button would be quite similar, although I wonder if a "dislike" would have a negative impact on the student who received one. It seems a bit more "agressive" in a way.
Agree/disagree would be more accepted by students who learn to debate with one another without hurting their peers.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for your reply and for editing the idea, @JBMaurice . We've opened it for broader conversation. I recommend that you also post a comment about this to the "dislike" thread linked above. When the developers scope this, it will be helpful for them to see various perspectives.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New