[Assignments] assignment ordering: "sort chronologically" button in settings

on the assignment page next to the group title there is a gear icon representing settings.  on that drag down menu bar it would be wonderful to have an option to sort assignments chronologically. 

thanks

28 Comments
kellyhelmstette
Community Explorer

End-users (students/teachers) should be able to set the view of each courses' assignments list in the chronological order that makes sense and works best for them. i.e. students with fine motor and verbal disabilities should not need to endlessly scroll the bottom of an assignments list to see the "most recent" assignment. Seems like a feature that would help those with accessibility issues as well as organizational needs to see what is being asked of them during the class much more easily than the current method.

kellyhelmstette
Community Explorer

cfsimkins- Agreed!  A simple "most recently added assignments" at the top sort would be fantastic... it's been forever since this has been suggested and no movement on it.

We're not looking for "upcoming due dates" just a simple way to reverse the default order of how Canvas places the new Assignments into that section of Canvas.

Seems like a pretty simple change. What teacher, or student for that matter enjoys endless scrolling, esp. when on an iPad? 

jsessions75
Community Member

Please, please tell me how to sort my assignments so that the oldest is at the bottom and newest at the top? If there isn't an option for this, please help us out so we do not have to go to the entire assignment list to get to the most recent.

Respetfully,

NikkiPham
Community Member

When choosing a link from within Canvas for a homepage, all of the options are organized by group, and then are listed alphabetically. However, the assignments in the groups themselves are in a random order. Once you have populated each group with multiple assignments it becomes more difficult to find files. Allowing the files within the assignment groups to be alphabetized would be very helpful. 

Lpicsmith
Community Member

I have scrolled through comments on having a tool that would autosort assignments on the assignment page by due date.  So far, I have not found that Canvas has added this feature.  It does not seem like a difficult fix. I would prefer NOT to hide the assignments tab from students as I think it is a good tool for them to access.  I just do not like having to organize assignments 'by hand' one at a time.

robertFoster
Community Member

five years later... please listen to your end users.   This would be very helpful.  I currently have five Canvas courses to manage.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme