browser error 403 when parent accesses student assignment link

0 Likes
(1)

When a parent is not logged into Canvas as an observer, and attempts to access an assignment link for their student (via an email notification they received), if they are not already logged into Canvas, they get a 403 browser error message.  Instead, can the parent be routed to a Canvas observer login page 

Tags (3)
7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@jdelcarlo  Thanks for sharing this feedback. Have you already reported this to the Canvas admin for your district and/or Canvas Support?

jdelcarlo
Community Explorer
Author

Yes.  I am a Canvas admin for our district and I opened a ticket w/ Canvas support.  Below is the canvas support ticket and their response.

Thank you for your recent Canvas Case - 08157079.

Hello Jessica! 

Thank you for Contacting Canvas Support!

Here is a link to our idea conversations. If he would like to he can put his response there.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Trevian Brown
L1 Support Engineer
support@instructure.com

Hello Jessica! 

Thank you for Contacting Canvas Support!

I understand a parent is having issues opening assignment links from his email notifications. If the parent is opening the emails let's say on his phone and he does not have the Parent app. It'll try to open the link in a browser and what you said is correct. If he tries to open the link somewhere he's not signed into canvas it will give him an error. Try having him sign into Canvas on a computer and opening the link. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.  We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Trevian Brown
L1 Support Engineer
support@instructure.com

Here was what your case was about: Parent reporting browser 403 error when accessing links on Assignment notifications

getting an error message from Google - 403. That’s an error. Error: app_not_configured_for_user Service is not configured for this user

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for investigating this thoroughly with Canvas Support, @jdelcarlo . We'll move this idea forward for broader discussion, and as an interim solution, we hope you'll encourage parents/observers to download and start using the Canvas Parent App.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

AM1135
Community Novice

We are having a similar issue. However, instead of an assignment link, our parent is getting a notification that a message has been sent from the teacher to the student. When the parent clicks on the link, he/she gets the 403 error. We have directed the parent to ensure she is using the app. However, now when she opens the app, there is no message to see from the teacher. Thoughts on how to advise the parents? 

LynnShackelford
Community Novice

I can never access the links sent to me as a parent. Every time I click on them, I get the 403 error on Chrome. This is completely useless.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.