course analytics: add log time

When looking at student success (or lack of success), it is great to see participation, but the page views is of dubious value. If a student simply clicks through pages, they get counted the same as someone who actually spent time reading the content of a page. I know we can see the time spent if we look at the login report (which I think needs to be more robust rather than only giving us the start time for the last time a page was viewed), but I would like to see something such as total time spent in course or total time each day etc. on the course analytics page along with participation and page views.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

9 Comments
eellis
Community Novice

I agree, I would like to see something like this as well. Especially as we consider options for teachers to take courses online for re-cert hours,

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi purreni

This is a great idea and use case that can be added to a feature idea that will be open for voting on May 5th.  Will you please add your thoughts and use case here

I am going to archive this idea.  

purreni
Community Novice

Renee,

Thanks, I had already made a comment on Student Activity Report: Student Time Log.

However, my specific request is that this information about time in course is available

in the analytics page. When one is looking at the course analytics it would be nice to see

the average time students are spending in the course and when you go to an individual

student you would not just see page views and participation but also how long was spent in

the course. Having those 3 points of data together helps to get a good sense of how the

student in interacting in the course -- are they just clicking through pages to get to the

part they need to participate in and quickly doing that or are they spending some time

actually viewing and more likely reading the material?

I am sorry that you are archiving the suggestion to make that data available in the

Analytics area.

Ingrid

Ingrid Purrenhage, MLIS

Associate Director Library

Pasco-Hernando State College

Porter Campus at Wiregrass Ranch

purreni@phsc.edu

813-527-6690

"Like" us on F

( https://www.facebook.com/PHSClibraries) acebook!

( https://www.facebook.com/PHSClibraries)

Follow us on Twitter!

( https://twitter.com/phsclibraries)

>>> On 4/30/2015 at 5:36 PM, in message

<105-4294-3-2107-1430429728477.jive.jivemailuser@https://community.canvaslms.com>, renee

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I think it is ok that you are requesting it in analytics when the original idea was in a report form.  This is exactly why we ask people to be specific about their idea, but not necessarily about how it should look, or where it should appear.  I really like your idea of the time being displayed in the analytics and think it is a great option for this idea - it is an option I had not pictured!  This is the value of the community and comments on these ideas!  Please add your perspective to the linked idea and can't wait to see other perspectives!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

I am going to modify the original post to make sure that it specifies that instructors should also be able to pull the information - since after I reread it I see it is specific to students.

christopher_bar
Community Novice

we’d like data on how long a student spends on a particular page, if a student has watched a video and how much of it they have watched.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Obtaining Access Report Data for an Entire Class , which is coming up this Friday, February 3, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Analytics 2: Teacher &amp; Student

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi Everyone - Since (old) Student Analytics will not be built out further, Instructure's Product Team decided to archive this idea. Thank you for your contributions!