decimal option for numerical test answers

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

When entering data for a numerical test question, Canvas autofills the student answer with 4 decimal points (eg. student answer 10 submits as 10.0000).

Please either remove the autofill, or provide an option in which test creators can select the number of decimal points desired (0 to XX).

Thank you.

Elizabeth

Comments from Instructure

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

This idea was indirectly developed through "Numerical Answer with Precision"

10 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ervanhor ​

Thank you for your contribution to the feature ideas space!  I'm not sure if this is intentional design, a bug, or possibly even related to a current feature that a Product Manager is collecting more information on.  I'm doing a little research and will get back to you.

kona
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ​, there's already been some discussion about this on the following question - decimal points in numerical test questions

James
Community Champion

That question was what prompted Elizabeth to come make the feature request.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Your idea will move forward for voting in October!  If/When it becomes part of a bigger discussion we'll make sure to link connections!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

For more information on the voting process check out How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This Feature Idea is now Complete!

For more information on the release of this feature, and others, please review the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-10-31)

ROI.png

Thank you to  @mhurwitz   for submitting .  Also, Thanks to  petern and  @ervanhor   for your submissions of and which were completed as part of this feature.

Additional thanks to idea contributors mdjohnston,  @jazemlya ,  @curtain ,  @kona ,  @douglas_deboer ,  @vkg , ashaukat and  @James  for your valuable input! Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

mhurwitz
Community Member

Thanks Canvas friends - but I just tried creating a Numerical Answer question, and the feature is not yet there. Is it supposed to be? I can't even type an "E" in the "Correct Answer" field. -Mark

kona
Community Champion

@mhurwitz ​, it should be available in your Canvas Beta instance - How do I access the Canvas beta environment? - right now and in Production Canvas this Saturday.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed