editing assignment comments

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to be able to edit comments that I make in the speed grader on student assignments.  Often I find myself wanting to correct a type, or amending a phrase.  The only possible way to do it now is to make a new comments.  I keep looking for an editing feature similar to the way we can modify announcements.

11 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea​ submission.  We wanted to call your attention to   which was submitted in a different voting period.  It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

It would save so much time rather than deleting the existing comment and doing a completely new comment!

johnpj
Community Contributor

Those interested in commenting functionality may also be interested in: Import Grade Comments

jan_derijke
Community Participant

This is marked as solved and deployed, but i cant find how to edit the comments in the right sidebar of the speedgrader. Can anybody tell me how this works?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The Edit function for assignment comments is part of the New Gradebook, and is described in the Edit Comment section of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16552-4152813640 

ThorneAnderson
Community Member

As far as I can, it's possible to edit a comment in the "New Gradebook" view but it's still not possilbe in Speed Grader. 

tim_kato
Community Contributor

This feature is not quite up to par. In addition to comments above, we at UBC have observed that when editing the comment through the gradebook for a group assignment, it only edits it for one group member at a time. I have submitted https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Group-Assignment-Comments-Fix-Edit-Workflow/id...

blong
Community Participant

Note on this from one of my faculty:

Here's a quick unsolicited suggestion for Canvas: it would be nice if there were an edit function on comments in SpeedGrader.  It's not a big deal; if I make a mistake after submitting, I just copy the comment, delete the original, past the text back into the comment and edit it, but it would be a click or two easier if I could just edit the comment.

The work around of having to go to the gradebook to edit the comments adds even more clicks than copy/delete/paste and edit/resubmit

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New