[Modules] expand and collapse the activities under each header

Headers can be used to subdivide the activities in modules, but each header makes the module longer and longer.  To reduce scrolling for students, I suggest allowing the headers to be expanded and collapsed

47 Comments
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

I see you updated the extension to version 0.4 and that the icon display has changed to be less of a clutter - it looks good.  I need to work with it some more as it was acting a little strange when I was showing it to someone.  I noticed that you added in the options one of which is the move icons to the right of the name.  Thank You for that.

Ron

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman if you experience strange behaviour by the extension, please send a description to me. I'd like to eliminate possible bugs promptly.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

I was working on my module page to answer a question someone had about linking to a module.  I created the link in a page and when I clicked on it, I went to the module in question on the modules page.  And then when your script kicks in after a few seconds, I was moved up to the top of the modules page.

Also, when I went to add content to a module with your script active, once it was added, I was pushed up to the top of the module list - this happens when you indent an item as well.

I had the show icons on the right selected and modules expanded maximally (default)

I then put show module icon on the left (default mode) and did an indent on an item in a module and I was pushed up to the top of the modules page again.

I hope that is clear enough for you to follow.  I am using chrome.

Ron

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman After discussing this matter in a private channel, the cause of this behaviour was identified as being due to an update alert box not being "clicked away" by the user. I have now uploaded a new version which will eliminate the problem, hopefully before it occurs to anyone else.

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

The Canvas Modules Compactor extension, which implements the feature suggested by the OP, is now updated to version 0.5.

If you wish to learn more about the new features, watch the new demo video from here.

If you are new to the extension, watch the video from the start.

The extension can be installed from Chrome Web Store.

The Firefox version will also be updated soon.

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

One step closer to complete control of Modules

This video demonstrates the new custom indentation feature of the upcoming 0.6 version of the Canvas Modules Compactor browser extension.

As many modules pages are not optimally structured with indentations to make compression maximally powerful, individual users may need to impose that structure on their own. The custom indentation feature makes this possible, also for students.

Please share comments if you have any ideas for improvement before release.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

Once again, thanks for a great extension.  I like the fact that teachers and students can use this to change their setup as they want.

This latest upgrade is a nice addition - makes it much easier to indent items that were put in with the wrong indentation.

I have a question about how the indentation information is stored - is that done through cookies?  If so, you may want to explain that so that the information can be preserved for those of us who clean out cookies and cache every time the browser closes.

One other comment (not sure if it is even possible)- Have you given any thought to applying your learned knowledge to creating folders in pages?  As noted in the following idea request, it is a very hot topic.
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Allow-folders-in-Pages/idi-p/360796

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman 
Thank you for kind words. The indentation info (as well as Option and User Tag info) is not stored in cookies; that is not necessary since the entire extension runs on the client computer and data do not need to be exchanged with a server. Instead, memory is provided by Chrome's storage API which is readily accessed by extensions. I guess the only way to erase that data would be by removing the extension.

Since I uploaded the video I have entered an additional checkbox on the Options page which hides the indentation menus while custom indentation is still active. This is to reduce visual clutter to a minimum. Editing indentations most likely will occur quite sporadically and in between it would not make sense to have the menus lighting up all the time.

As for Page folders, I have not experienced the need for that myself, since my courses tend to generate very few Pages. However, I do see the justification for this. It would be quite straightforward to design an extension which allows each user to organise Pages in "folders" privately according to their own preferences. Supporting a folder structure that is coordinated between users would be trickier. Tagging folder location by modification of the page name might make for very unwieldy names. Maybe some custom HTML tag could do the trick, like this:

dan_baeckstrom_0-1620256672628.png

It would be vulnerable to corruption by inept users though. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link... 🙂

Do you think coordinated folder structures is what people want, or would private ones suffice?

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

I do not know why your post finally became visible to me.  

In any case in answer to your question about pages, I think just private organization for instructors is all that is needed.  My guess is that the people that would use it would have pages hidden from the students.  If you look at the post in my previous message, there are almost 200 people who have voted for that feature in Canvas.  I think you would be highly praised if you could set up a way to put folders in pages.

Keep up the good work.  I for one truly appreciate it.

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman I was more thinking of sharing a folder structure between colleagues ("Where the *** is that page?" – "Oh it's in the so-and-so folder; you can't miss it") rather than with students. But if private folder structures are sufficient then the task becomes much simpler – and safer.