[Modules] expand and collapse the activities under each header

Headers can be used to subdivide the activities in modules, but each header makes the module longer and longer.  To reduce scrolling for students, I suggest allowing the headers to be expanded and collapsed

47 Comments
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

I would start with the easiest implementation first and then let the users give feedback on what might be something you had not thought of.  For me I would only need it for my courses - I do not need to share with anyone else.

I am sure there are plenty of people that want this feature that as they use what you start with they will have all sorts of great ideas to help you spend time with further developments.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

Hi Dan -

I just tried out version 0.6, and I do not get the indentation option - I do  not see the gray column that has the selection window for the indentation - all I get is the highlight for the module item as if I have the hide indentation feature on.  I tried all possible combinations that I could think of with the options and never got it to work. I am using the latest version of chrome.
Ron
dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@Ron_Bowman Sorry – I forgot to mention that this feature is only available to students and in Student View – not much point in adding custom indentations for teachers who are able to adjust the actual indentation on the back-end Canvas version... but I should of course have warned about this. Switch to Student View and the feature will be enabled.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

Thanks for the information.  Although I thought it would be a quick easy way to indent the items I forgot to indent when I added them to a module - just a touch easier than selecting that option from the ellipses - mainly because if you start undented indent is at the top, but after indenting once it drops down one spot, so that the mouse is not pointing at the same thing you just clicked on for the first indent.

robotcars
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom 

Last year before hell broke loose I was tinkering with a Module Mashup of hacks shared by @dlyons and @mcowen 

The purpose was to provide a toolbar at the top of Modules to allow filtering and collapsing.

It has gone unfinished since I don't have the bandwidth to tinker at the moment, but since you are working on this I've dropped the current state and notes of the project in a gist in case you want to review any of it. I believe the step I was on was trying to deal with refresh states when students come back. I believe it's saved internally but couldn't quite hash it out to make it consistent. This is intended for use within the Canvas Themes vs a Browser Extension.

https://gist.github.com/robert-carroll/12717270d15c885f2908371e7bfab838

IanStevenson
Community Member

Modules could be more visually organised if indented pages could be collapsed in the same way the module can be collapsed. 

I tried H5P accordions within a page but these do not support images.

Feature description: Add a clickable triangle next to the parent page to reveal indented pages below. Click the triangle again to collapse indented child pages.

Thanks for listening,
Ian

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@IanStevenson The Canvas Modules Compactor browser extension does just that. Have you checked out this video?

IanStevenson
Community Member

@dan_baeckstrom that's exactly what I am after! Great work. Unfortunately, it is difficult enough to get students to look at the canvas site without asking them to install a browser extension.

Thanks for this link Dan, let's hope the developers are reading this.

Regards,
Ian

dan_baeckstrom
Community Explorer

@IanStevenson Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it is of course a major weakness that the students have to install the extension individually. However, when I told my students about it, there were quite a few who at least did download it. Then again, some students might not mind the clutter. And anyway, I believe that having the extension installed as a teacher helps you organise your modules consistently and in a structured way.

Best,
Dan

Steven_S
Community Champion

@dan_baeckstrom  Maybe you could include collapsing and expanding threaded discussions if the pages work similarly...