[Discussions] Export Discussions

Please consider a feature that will allow students to export discussions and related threads. This can be a helpful resource at the end of the course. Professors will want the ability to release discussions for export so a release date option would be needed.

Added to Theme

81 Comments
alecian
Community Member

this hits my nail on the head

ruth_west
Community Novice

Bulk export of discussions is a crucial tool for instructors that is currently not available. Seems like a helpful learning tool for students as well. Am hoping that this is being considered as a feature to be added in the near future. 

rochowd
Community Novice

This is a great idea and has been requested for years.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone

davisjoh
Community Explorer

4 years and a lot of request but no action. In Blackboard I used the discussion board as a reservation system for my company presentations. I have 4 sections and 120 students and a company can only be done one time per semester. Students enter a company name. Students could see all reservations already done and sort them by company to make sure the one they want is open. There appears to be no easy method other than scrolling through 120 reservations in a reservation discussion thread. I could do this if I could export to Excel. Please consider this long requested request for export of discussions.

reich027
Community Novice

The ability to download/export comments as others have noted is essential to helping instructors of classes that are repeated to capture those discussions that help evolve the class.  This would also be helpful to participants who in my case would like to retain the content found in discussions for their own use post class.

NT2
Community Member

Please, Canvas, you really should make exporting the discussion board an option for so many reasons! 1. we have student helpers do grading and it has to be anonymous, so we need to have a way of exporting this. 2. we have to submit things like discussion posts as part of promotion packages and how can we easily do this if we can't export? 3. we need to archive discussions and things like that at the end of courses for our records. 

I hate to say it but it makes me miss Blackboard...

joulesmc2
Community Member

What I would love is an export of the discussions as a CSV where you can then sort by student name and really dig into the content for data and educational research. As it is we can do this through our own ingenuity, but it would be nice if Canvas did it for EVERYONE not just those with programming skills. Does this violate an agreement you have with third party discussion tools? I can't think of another reason why outside of money and legal contracts with people other than the educational institutions. 

tinamims
Community Explorer

I've searched from 2019 back to 2015 and found a number of threads on the subject of "print discussion threads" but there is not a feature yet, or at least I cannot find one.

Is there any work around?

I need the ability to download and save all discussion forum threads for 2 reasons:

1- documentation for any violation

2- use in analyses - I can use MAXQDA to identify various key word trends and issues discussed.

3- use in reporting

4-use in academic research

Anyone find an easy way to print discussion threads or download these threads yet?

Stay well, and thanks!

Tina

MichaelBoezi
Community Member

Yes please – for instructors too. I'd like to be able to capture my own comments so that I can use them to build new lesson content for a subsequent term.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New