extend quiz times per student, not just per quiz.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know that quiz times can be changed/extended by going into each quiz and selecting the student to grant more time ('moderate a quiz').  However, this can prove tedious if you know that one student (or many for that matter), are going to need more time in ALL a course's quizzes than other students.  Not just one quiz at a time.  A great feature would be to be able to go into a student's settings and extend the quiz times in one fell swoop, if that makes sense.  Now, one has to go to each quiz, "moderate it", then select that student and change the quiz time. Repeat for every course quiz.

Thanks!

Curtis Finnegan, LBCC, Albany, Oregon

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
47 Comments
rpetrina
Community Member

What a great idea! This would be for students who have a specific accommodation, such as 50% additional time on all quizzes. By setting it up as a percentage entry, you would eliminate the potential for instructor error in calculating what the 50% (or 25%, or whatever) additional time measures up to be.

scott
Community Explorer

Right now i handle this by putting those students in a separate section (extension) and then giving that section a different time for the quiz.  All of the other students taking the quiz are also in a different section (exam).  Then I only publish the time/date to those sections and not to everyone.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Makes perfect sense - This would be very beneficial to anyone who has to extend times on quizzes for a student.

olexar
Community Contributor

This is absolutely a great idea! I posted " modifiedtitle="true" title="one so similar that it was archived (I hadn't run across this one). Disability accommodations come every semester. Moderating each and every quiz for each student with accommodations becomes both time consuming, and worrisome as you want to make sure you do it properly each and every time. I'd like to have the ability to simply go into people, and have the option to allow multiples of time for a student on every quiz. Options could look something like:

• Allow this student 1.5 time on all quizzes (For example, a quiz with a 30 minute time limit would automatically become 45 min for this student.)
  • Allow this student double time on all quizzes (For example, a quiz with a 30 minute time limit would automatically become 60 min for this student.)

I've yet to come across anything other than 1.5 or double time, but maybe someone in the community knows of other often seen accommodations.

scott
Community Explorer

That is a good option.  It would be good to have the 1.5 and the double as that is the most common times to use.  There have been a couple times where I have needed to give someone 15 min more because they had computer problems, so making this flexible is important.

olexar
Community Contributor

Absolutely. I'm hoping that this would be an option additional to what's currently available in Moderate.

millerjm
Community Champion

olexar, we have actually encountered up to 4x (quadruple) time on quizzes at our school - a 30 minute quiz would become 2 hours.  Our most common scenario is also 1.5 and double time. 

Having the ability to do this on a per-user, per section basis - for example Jane Doe, SIS ID 1234567, has an english class and a math class.  She gets double time on her math quizzes but not on her english quizzes.

Having two ways for instructors to manage this time extension to be granted would be ideal.

• The current method:  instructor moderating quizzes on a one quiz at a time, per student, basis
  • An area under quizzes for the instructor to say "this student always gets double time."

Ability for the disability office to manage extended time:  A tool at the account and sub-account level to moderate quizzes would be ideal.  This would perhaps allow the college's disability office to flag students in the system so that the instructors could see the type of extended time the student needs?  Or perhaps even just go ahead and enter that Jane Doe gets double time on all of her math class quizzes and have it change it across the class so the instructor doesn't have to?  (I know on our campus this wouldn't go over well right now due to faculty politics but perhaps other colleges would be able to make use of this...)

rpetrina
Community Member

I think it is an interesting option to consider allowing the disability services office to manage time, but I don't know if it is the best idea. This is because it is the student's responsibility to inform the instructor of accommodations. By automatically giving accommodations, the instructor might not know what's going on. Additionally, my institution has experienced students with "invisible disabilities" electing not to request accommodations in certain classes by not giving the instructor the disability office form. That is still the student's right and prerogative.

kona
Community Champion

Excellent point/points  @rpetrina ​! I'd also shy away from having a global setting. It's one thing to have the instructor be able to set this for their course, another thing all together when you start talking about a global setting.

millerjm
Community Champion

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the politics are like at other schools.  It wouldn't go over well here to have it be a global setting...I just spoke with the director of disability support and she said the same thing.  Smiley Happy