extend quiz times per student, not just per quiz.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know that quiz times can be changed/extended by going into each quiz and selecting the student to grant more time ('moderate a quiz').  However, this can prove tedious if you know that one student (or many for that matter), are going to need more time in ALL a course's quizzes than other students.  Not just one quiz at a time.  A great feature would be to be able to go into a student's settings and extend the quiz times in one fell swoop, if that makes sense.  Now, one has to go to each quiz, "moderate it", then select that student and change the quiz time. Repeat for every course quiz.

Thanks!

Curtis Finnegan, LBCC, Albany, Oregon

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
47 Comments
scott
Community Explorer

We do not always have "timed" quizzes, so in that case using the moderate feature does not work to add more time.  That is why I ended up using the sections to place people in and give them different times.

henry_ngo
Community Novice

Dear Fellow Canvas Users,

This is a great tool for teachers/administrators.  If you have colleagues that feel the same way, please forward them this voting link and ask them to vote for this tool.

Thanks.

ryant
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is already possible currently through the API, fyi.

Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

rpetrina
Community Member

That's a start, but most instructors do not work with the API. I think the goal of this idea is to help instructors more easily manage accommodations. And that API call still doesn't seem to solve the problem of quiz times by percentage. Students with accommodations don't get a raw number of additional minutes on every assessment. The additional time is always relative to the original quiz time.

valerie_schulz
Community Novice

Would LOVE the option to set the student extension for the whole semester.

sscutieri
Community Novice

This is a must for complying with Individualized Student Plans in an EFFECTIVE way for bot teachers and students.

mattking
Community Novice

I concur -- I was directed to post this as an idea by Canvas support after they told me it couldn't be done!

There should obviously be a way to set global settings for a student in a course. While I'm bummed I can't take credit for this great idea, I'm happy it's a bit further along and so hopefully will be implemented sooner!

bsr
Community Contributor

Critical feature! I teach an online class with over 60 quizzes, and it takes an unreasonable amount of time to go through the "moderate quiz" process for each quiz, manually calculate and enter the new time, repeat 62 times, and then do it all over again 5 or 6 or 7 more times as additional students notify me of their accommodations. Our accommodations are also typically 1.5x or 2x, so those settings would work, but even better would be to have an "enter multiplier for this student" option.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

Thank you for this idea. I agree this can be incredibly useful for giving students more time under special circumstances and meeting accommodation requirements.  We will look into this for future planning and enhancements to quizzes.

Many thanks,

Jason

cwendt
Community Champion

The vote was close on this one. An equivalent idea is now up for voting here. Please vote and encourage others to do so if the implementation of it is important to you.   Smiley Happy