gradebook notes

0 Likes
(1)

As an instructor, I would love to be able to make notes/comments for myself in my grade book.

Examples: 

- I gave a student an extension on or excused a single assignment, and I'd like to make a note for myself as to the reason ("med" or "death in the family" or "athletics commitment")

- a student did particularly poorly or particularly well on a single section of a test or quiz, and I want to remember that come time to write comments without having to open each quiz and look at it again

- a student made a submission in another format (on paper or via email or shared on Drive) so it isn't visible in Canvas, but I want to remember where it is so I know where it is if I need it later

These notes would be only visible to the instructor.

This is a feature available in Schoology that I desperately miss, and I'm only about one month into using Canvas!

@

Tags (2)
3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Welcome to Canvas, @KristaFalcone ! Instructors can enable a Notes column in their Gradebook that is only visible to them; many instructors use them for the very purposes you've described. Please read through  How do I use the Notes column in the Gradebook? for details.

Thanks!

KristaFalcone
Community Member

Thanks! I saw that, but that's just a single column, not linked to any specific assignment, right? I'd like to be able to make individual notes on individual assignments throughout the year. If I use the notes column, then that running list will get quite long, and also the notes won't be clearly associated with the student work the notes are referring to.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the clarification, @KristaFalcone . That's a different idea that is currently the topic of conversation at  Student performance tracking notes  (requesting the ability to place notes associated with a student and an assignment in Speedgrader).