include Mobile App Page Views in Page Views on User Account Details Page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be nice if the Mobile App Page Views for a user were included in the user Page Views that are accessible on the User Account Details Page.

No matter how a user is moving around in the system (laptop, desktop, mobile device, mobile app) those actions should all be recorded/visible in one area and set of Page Views.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13)

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15152 

49 Comments
pyou
Community Novice

Thanks Brian. When will this be resolved?

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

I know that if a student uses a mobile app, currently the data is not included.  But what if a students uses a browser on their mobile device, is that included in the analytics?  Deactivated user​ Do you know the status of this feature request?

cms_hickss
Community Coach
Community Coach

If they use the browser from an iPhone or iPad the Page Views should say Safari 601.1 [Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/13D15] or something similar.

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Thank you  cms_hickss

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This feature is still on our roadmap. We can archive this idea for now, but please know that we are aware of this need and anxiously awaiting the time when we can work on it. Tracking mobile activity is important for all of our Canvas users (and us!).

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

Can you tell me where on the roadmap it is now? 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event Using Canvas Data with Canvas Mobile Apps which is coming up this Tuesday, November 1, 2016. RSVP "yes" if you can attend. If you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" so you can receive any post-event updates.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Michelle,

We don't have one single road map document published currently.  You can get a preview of what is coming, however, by checking out Canvas Studio.

estern
Community Novice

I don't understand why this is archived. The page view access is essentially worthless since most students will view at least some of the material on the phone. Plus, it took me a year to realize that these views weren't being counted - some of the students complained that I had accused them of not looking at the links, and then I realized it was the phone. I have no way to see what the students have clicked on. The analytics aspect of Canvas is so much weaker than in other platforms I've used (Angel, Moodle),  I'm surprised that this has not been improved.