include Mobile App Page Views in Page Views on User Account Details Page

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be nice if the Mobile App Page Views for a user were included in the user Page Views that are accessible on the User Account Details Page.

No matter how a user is moving around in the system (laptop, desktop, mobile device, mobile app) those actions should all be recorded/visible in one area and set of Page Views.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the following release notes:

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.3) 

Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-05-13)

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15152 

49 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@estern ‌, the idea is not archived; it is active and in Product Radar status. Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2016/10/27/new-ideation-stage-product-radar?sr=...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2109-how-does-the-voting-process-work-for-feature-ideas?sr=...‌ for insight on the ideation stages.

estern
Community Novice

I was referring to Allison's post from Feb 2016

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

I agree with you, Emily.  That component really is throwing us for a loop especially in our freshman courses where we use those sorts of things as a determination for engagement.  I can't believe this still isn't part of things after 2 years.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Ah, I see,  @estern ‌! The status of the idea was changed in October 2016. We could probably use a new product update, and I'll see if we can get one.

admin_brake
Community Participant
  • Since Canvas analytics does not include the mobile app data, it doesn’t tell the whole story – a chunk of the data is missing.
  • There should be visible disclaimers where ever this affects the reports/data, so users are aware, until the mobile app data is included.
  • At Colorado State University, we want the mobile apps data included asap to help us with student achievement measures, and improving course design by considering the whole picture of student usage.
  • Really looking forward to the mobile app data being included, asap!
estern
Community Novice

I agree that there should be a visible disclaimer. I wrongly accused students of not viewing items for a while before I figured out what was going on. Support told me it was in the documentation, but there is no way I can read and absorb all of the documentation. If I can figure something out then I just use it and look up what I don't know, so I had no idea that the students' views were not being recorded. It's awful to think that I might have given lower grades unfairly without knowing this.

hallmans
Community Contributor

I also agree with  @estern  that this can have a huge impact and isn't widely known. We had an instructor yesterday who was concerned that 20% of his class hadn't done any of the prereadings or even looked at the syllabus. We have no way of knowing how many of them actually did the work on their iPad's or phones. His impression was that the supplied analytics were telling him the true extent of student involvement and that is not true.

michellemeazell
Community Contributor

Any updates?

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

Does this feature request tie in with Context Cards? Context Cards include page view activity and a link to analytics. I would hope that if this feature is accepted, include any mobile activity in the Context Cards as well. Thanks.

stephensda
Community Participant

Since last date of "participation" (not submissions/interactivity) is a known metric for establishing a withdrawal and/or failing grade, it makes sense for ANY AND ALL page views, regardless of modality used, to be reflected in reporting/analytics. There needs to be much more parity of mobile with desktop environments. The coming surge in mobile consumption of course content is at our doorstep, IMO.