@ mentions in Discussion forums

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31929_Preview.jpegPreview.jpeg

You have a class of 30 and there are three Tom's, how can we differentiate who we are talking to?

85 Comments
cgaudreau
Community Contributor

Hmmm...this would have been great during my most recent course. I know it's on the radar, but any update as to whether or not I should hold out hope that this is a Yay or Nay.

jackrsteiner
Community Novice

I've been using Canvas at the University of Colorado Denver for several years. This feature would be so so useful. In most of my classes, the de facto is for everyone to start a discussion response by listing the names of the students they are responding to. This is such a buggy solution. Sometimes a response references another user's earlier post, but is primarily responding to a different post. In these cases, you end up referencing those users, in the middle of posts, and there is basically no guarantee that those people have any idea you've done this.

thompsli
Community Champion

So, it's 2018, which by my math is later than 2016. Any progress updates? 

l_lucas
Community Participant

This would be a great idea - especially for a forum with multiple moderators - so one moderator can ask another to comment on a specific message or thread

wilma_chapman
Community Novice

Hi all and Canvas User Engagement‌. This feature would support our courses and users immensely as we have multiple teacher accounts added to courses, based on our model of delivery. Has there or is there any movement on this at all yet?

Thanks

Wilms

tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

This is also a great way to promote instructor presence. Instructors can't always see all mentions (particularly in large enrollment courses), so getting notified would be great. 

In some of the courses that I support, we have a technology support discussion, the intent of which is a space where students can directly ask technical questions. The instructor doesn't monitor it--I do. When a student mis-posts to this discussion, I can tell them to ask the instructor directly, but it would certainly create a better student experience/environment of caring if I could @ mention the instructor to call attention to the post. Of course there are other ways I could do this, but @ mention is sort of the standard vernacular these days. 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I would've loved this when I used Canvas as a student. There were times it could become hard to follow who you were wanting to talk to directly.

j_keegan
Community Novice

We are attempting to fully utilize Canvas discussions and are now coming up against the limitations of the discussions in the platform.  @ mentions would be a useful feature to have.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

adrienne_philpa
Community Novice

How many votes do we need in order to get this feature (as well as #tagging, too)?