@ mentions in Discussion forums

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31929_Preview.jpegPreview.jpeg

You have a class of 30 and there are three Tom's, how can we differentiate who we are talking to?

85 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@adrienne_philpa , prioritization of ideas is not determined by an absolute number of votes.  What is the feature development process for Canvas? and How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?‌ provide overviews of how ideas can move from the ideas forum to production.

jcortizrojas
Community Novice

YES PLEASE!!

haha    social networks have absolutely damaged us all! LOL

jdick1
Community Participant

Commenting here to provide additional support and hopefully keep the activity on this thread live enough so other folks can see it and vote on it. Mentions and tagging would be incredibly useful for classroom discussions!

matthew_cleaver
Community Member

This is not just a "feature request". This is a pedagogical leap forward.

This will help make discussions actual discussions between students (and instructors) and not simply public posts. This will increase student engagement, social presence, and critical thinking. 

It's time for @mentions.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

If we had @mentions, I would actually use the discussion boards. 🙂

gulick_24
Community Participant

I teach online courses for transfer students, and many of them contact me asking how to use @mentions because their prior college's LMS could do it and they want to do it in Canvas. Sadly, I inform them that their new LMS can't yet deliver on that technology. I (and my team of 10 instructors) would LOVE this feature.  After all, we have the @mention feature on this Canvas Community site... but not yet in the actual Canvas site?  If anyone has a work-around, please let me know. Thank you!

mcinerney
Community Member

I so agree. Without the @mentions, "discussions" are just following the tired old IRE (teacher initiation, student response, and teacher evaluation/feedback) classroom discourse pattern. 

joya_scott
Community Novice

I desperately need this function to encourage discussion engagement in my courses.

lcmiller
Community Novice

When will this functionality (@ mentions in Canvas discussions) be reviewed and potentially implemented?

sjerome
Community Novice

This feature would be amazing and would really help encourage student interaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!