@ mentions in Discussion forums

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31929_Preview.jpegPreview.jpeg

You have a class of 30 and there are three Tom's, how can we differentiate who we are talking to?

85 Comments
mrizzuto
Community Explorer

This is critically important and would be hugely beneficial - even if it were a feature to enable/disable at course level.

lsmith129
Community Participant

Please make this happen, Canvas! The discussion board is next to useless without it when everyone is so accustomed to social media tagging. This can't possibly be too difficult when it's used in this very discussion forum!  @scottdennis ‌ Why is there no discussion board tagging/mentioning ability?

jackie
Community Member

And now, it's 2020! We'd love to have this feature -- it would make discussions so much more efficient. 

rbtonrye
Community Novice

Please, Canvas, you are overdue for this feature. You've been talking about this for FIVE YEARS! With each year that goes by, it becomes increasingly embarrassing,  @Renee_Carney ,  @peytoncraighill , and stefaniesanders, that Canvas still doesn't have this feature in Discussions. This has become an industry standard and, while I am not a programmer and don't understand what is required to implement mentions, it cannot possibly be so difficult to get it done at this late stage in the game. If you need assistance, Basecamp flawlessly integrates this throughout its platform. Maybe if you ask them really nicely they can help you get this done.

As a student, I am required to reply to classmates' posts and respond to replies to my original posts. The lack of mentions makes this unnecessarily difficult, especially across multiple courses.

Please, please, please, with a cherry on top, add a mentions feature to course discussions! 

Please.

dar119
Community Participant

Where do I go to VOTE for this addition? This would make SO many discussions much more useful!

NOTE that we can use @ and # to tag members and content in this Canvas Community discussion but we CANNOT do the same thing in Canvas itself?

justinehoch
Community Member

It would be awesome if we could tag specific individuals in posts, such as new students. I would love to not bombard all my students with information they already have! 

lsmith129
Community Participant

When can we vote for this LONG-OVERDUE basic feature?

lsmith129
Community Participant

Sorry I guess we're no longer voting...when can we get this moved up to "moderating?" You have to admit it's inexcusable that we can tag users HERE @erinhmcmillan and not in the discussion boards of the actual Canvas product itself...who should I tag to get someone to notice this?

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lsmith129 moderating is if the idea needs further clarification. In this case, it'll stay open as is since no clarification is needed.

At CanvasCon Online, our product team shared news that Discussions is in planning and includes a variety of functionality. Please see CanvasCon Online 2020 Sessions

Thanks!

Erin

kelseyknightOSU
Community Member

I have a Q&A discussion forum for my online classes, and I would love to be able to reply to specific students when they ask a questions by tagging their name, rather than just saying "Dear Student".  Kind of like on social media where you can "tag" someone and it's that extra attention grabber so they students know someone is trying to communicate with them through discussion forums.