@ mentions in Discussion forums

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

31929_Preview.jpegPreview.jpeg

You have a class of 30 and there are three Tom's, how can we differentiate who we are talking to?

85 Comments
godwinn1
Community Member

Tagging someone in a discussion is the most basic functionality. Why doesn't Canvas make this happen?

AndeolCadin
Community Member

Allowing to Tag someone's name within discussions posts, would allow a really inter-active and lively participations among the students group. Exchanging ideas, perspectives, sharing valuable sources of knowledge ... 
Please make it possible for everyone's benefit (including the course experience thus credentials)

Thank You

Best Regards - Andeol

SarahHanawald
Community Member

Yes! Please add this feature.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The @ mentions feature is currently in development. For more information, please read through  Discussions Redesign User Group + Early Access, and follow Canvas Release Notes for updates.

lsmith129
Community Participant

Great news! Please keep us posted on when we can try it out.

sallycharris
Community Explorer

Yes! and notifications for the mentions and replies. In fact, notification when anyone replies to my specific post in a threaded discussion. I don't want notification for every response to the main post (which is what I get now). What I want in notification when someone replies specifically to my post, whether they @mention me or not.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Users can mention other users in discussion replies by using the @ symbol.

For more information, please read through the  Discussions/Announcements Redesign: Release Change... - 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

Users can mention other users in discussion replies by using the @ symbol.

For more information, please read through the  Discussions/Announcements Redesign: Release Change...