missing assignments displayed by grading period

0 Likes
(9)

As a primary teacher using Canvas, I feel that displaying missing assignments for the entire school year is discouraging for our young students. I have requested that Canvas only display missing assignments for the grading period allowing young students to have a fresh start. Please create an option to display missing assignments for the grading period allowing students a fresh start at the new trimester/grading period. Our students don’t need to constantly see what they have missed from the previous trimester during these times. Thank you!

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

yulwed
Community Member

I agree! Please create an option for teachers to hide assignments from a previous trimester, because students can't submit those anymore, they're locked, they are in the past, so it would be nice just to be able to move on and start fresh! 

Ms_Razus
Community Novice

I agree 100%! Elementary school students need encouragement and support. It is really hard for them to see missing assignments and not be able to start fresh each trimester. Also, parents might put a lot of pressure on them instead of encouraging them for the new trimester. 

kbeers2
Community Member

I completely agree with the previous comment! It's very demoralizing for them to see work that they missed months ago. We are trying to start fresh this trimester, and we are worried the kids will get discouraged! Can we please only show this trimester's work! Thank you!

jchavez7
Community Novice

I surely agree on the previous comment.  Our students get confused as they navigate through Canvas and see old unfinished work.  I think that it will help our 7 and 8 years old students if they just see what is presently due and not old work from previous trimester.  Thank you for your time and consideration.  Please help us help our young students, thank you...

jcochrane
Community Novice

I agree! Canvas, please create this option. New trimester=frest start. Please hide missing assignments from previous trimesters.

vbarraza
Community Member

I agree. They also need to change the count of missing assignments and only display the missing assignment count for the current grading period. They need to reset the count of missing and late assignments every grading period. 

JRivas3
Community Novice

I agree. Parts of having a growth mindset is to learn from their  mistakes and move forward. Getting constant reminders of missing assignments can be discouraging for students and not allow them to move forward. Thank you. 

ReadingInFifth
Community Novice

Yes! I would love for my 5th graders to only focus on grades from the assignments that they still have access to. If I delete a module,  I should have the option to also hide their view of their grades from the deleted module. It's very overwhelming and difficult for them to see what assignments they have missing from the currently published modules, because they're mixed in the sea assignments from old modules.

MelissaL1
Community Member

I agree!  Actually this would be beneficial for all grade levels.  Please add a feature that allows the teacher to turn off missing assignments from previous grading periods. 

HeatherBlue
Community Member

I agree. As a first grade teacher, I would love to be able to have Canvas only show what is missing in the current trimester rather than all assignments from the beginning of the year. Please consider providing this option. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.