Post Policies enhancement: Hide assignment grade for single student while regrading

(5)

If a student turns in a paper late, after I have finished grading that of other students and thus unmuted the assignment, I would like to be able to grade that paper without the student getting constant notices that I have created comments, or to see my grading while I do a first pass and then finalize a grade later.  If I mute the assignment, then all the students in the class will get an email when I unmute it again.  I'd like to avoid overloading their inboxes or advertising that a student has turned in a paper late.

Comments from Instructure

Mute/Unmute is now Post Policies.  You can find more information in the Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) .

31 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is not complete, but we did want to draw your attention to some recent changes to the mute/unmute feature, now post policies.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) .

bobby_nourani
Community Member

Hi,

We support this idea as it would be really helpful for lecturers when grading assessments. Currently lecturers can hide/mute marks but not for an Individual student marks even if the assignment has been graded - this would give the lecturer the flexibility of moderating marks in special cases.

lshulman
Community Participant

Now that the new grade posting and new grade book is available, this is still an issue.

It would be nice if "manual" or "hidden" grades can be released for students on an individual basis. 

This way, when students finish a "manually" graded assignment early we can release just their grade while still waiting on other students to complete the assignment.

Similarly, if a student is late completing an assignment, we may not want to release a partially graded work at the same time we release everyone else's completed grade. (yes, we can choose to post only "graded" assignments but if there is a partial grade posted, Canvas will release that when we post graded assignments - if there are any points entered, Canvas does not know we are not done grading some of them).

This would be especially needed when we have assignments that are completed in parts and we enter partial grades as each part is completed. (please don't suggest I make each part a separately graded assignment, that is too cumbersome and not effective for such things as requiring multiple posts for a discussion where we consider the quality and timing of each individual post accumulating to the final grade for the discussion).

lshulman
Community Participant

Ah, yes, everything is always more complex behind the scenes than might be imagined by folks who are not "behind the scenes"! I get this with my students as well, wanting something to be changed in the way a course site is set up or in course policies but they don't consider all the other things that go into making the decisions we do to do things the way we do them.

I get it. But no less frustrating to have to make do with the way things are.

I appreciate the explanation as to why some of these feature ideas seem to take years to get done (if at all).

ProfH
Community Member

I was just on Canvas support for this and there does not appear to be a way to hide individual student grades without hiding everyone's grades. Sometimes you need more time to ponder an assignment from a particular student or do some investigation if there is suspicion of plagiarism, etc. but want to release grades for other students so this would be a nice feature to have.

CAM-Nsg
Community Member

I teach in a course that has multiple instructors per section, grading assignments at different times with different due dates. Cannot use the grading policy function in canvas in its current form because it affects all users (instructors/students). When grading an assignment this weekend I noted that I had 3 students that were viewing my annotations as I was putting them in. Why is this an issue? Often times I may not understand something they wrote or not figure out why it was there until way later in the submission or sometimes not until I see it again in another student submission which requires me to investigate and upon occasion delete or alter my annotation prior to submission of the grade. Each instructor in a course needs the ability to hide annotations until grade submitted for their students. Thank you for your time.

CAM-Nsg
Community Member

Canvas should be able to write a piece of code that allows us to drill down to the smallest group size created within a course for grading policy as I can drill down for grading just that group so why can I not drill down to that level on the grading policy?

graeme_douglas
Community Participant

I'd like to be able to post the grades for a sub-set of the students that I've graded when using a manual grade posting policy. Right now I can only choose to post for everyone or post all graded. There are several students who I want to talk with about their grade before releasing it, but I want to release the grade for all of the the other students.

Can the grades tool be modified so I can post the grade for just one or for a sub-set of the students?

Thanks,

Graeme

nesterd
Community Participant

In the gradebook, instructors should have the option to post grades and marks individually, while still hiding other students' assignments that may have been marked up and/or graded as well. 

Hidden grades is a good function, but the post grades function as it stands is limited -- grades and marks are either hidden, or they're posted. This binary choice means grades and marks will post automatically and make public to all students, even students with least of marks or a grade without marks or some other scenario.

That's also not optimal for some instructors' workflow--for example, if a class moves through student projects, discussing and grading as they move along, there is no way for an instructor to reveal/post grades and marks to those students already covered, while hiding those students whose work has not yet been covered in class. 

I would imagine this individual post feature would appear in the Canvas "Post Grades" options: under "Everyone" and "Graded," another option called "Individual" would be included that allows specific students to see their grades and marks. 

barbmurck
Community Participant

People have been asking for the ability to mute one student's mark or a small group of students for so many years now. There are many reasons why this is needed. I wish we could see some progress on this.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!