cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mute assignment for single student while regrading

mute assignment for single student while regrading

(1)

If a student turns in a paper late, after I have finished grading that of other students and thus unmuted the assignment, I would like to be able to grade that paper without the student getting constant notices that I have created comments, or to see my grading while I do a first pass and then finalize a grade later.  If I mute the assignment, then all the students in the class will get an email when I unmute it again.  I'd like to avoid overloading their inboxes or advertising that a student has turned in a paper late.

Comments from Instructure

Mute/Unmute is now Post Policies.  You can find more information in the Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) .

24 Comments
Community Team
Community Team

This feature idea is now open for voting.

Community Member

This would also work for cases in which the assignment has different due dates for different students. I cannot wait until every student has turned in a paper to begin grading. If I grade an earlier paper, andthe I want to silently grade a later submission, I have to stop access to the  student that submitted earlier. This is not a good process.

Community Member

We really miss this feature in Canvas

Learner II

Hi

I support this, and also would like to add, that our students are confused by the notification message sent when unmutting occurs

"Your instructor has released grade changes and new comments for Assignment ….. . These changes can now be viewed."

Students read this as saying that their grade has been changed, rather than thinking that these are new grades that were not visible before, meaning changed from a 0 to a whatever.

I think it is clearer to say . . . 

"Your instructor has released grades and comments for Assignment ….. . These can now be viewed."

Could this be included in the changes to grades area outlined above

Community Member

This would be really useful. I've had a number of students asking about grade changes when all we have done is release the marks and feedback. The message above would remove such confusion.

Surveyor

Yes!  Really useful!

Community Member

Please consider adding the ability to mute/unmute assignments by individual students instead of only by the whole class.  This would be incredibly valuable for courses that are team taught and when not all students need/should have access to an assignment but one needs access.

Community Member

I am happy to see this idea reopened for voting. I am teaching a laboratory class with four sections that meet once a week. Each section submits a report on a separate day of the week. We need to have a way to mute only one section at a time. 

Community Member

The ability to mute one or more students and unmute the others is essential for equity purposes for those students who receive approved extensions and submit work late, which is marked and returned late - this process should not impede other students receiving their feedback and grade in a timely manner.

Surveyor

I think this would be a really useful feature. we have tight deadlines for returning work / feedback to students and if we could Mute / Unmute submissions rather than assignments whilst late submissions or students with extensions are still being marked it would be ideal.