open google doc in a new tab

0 Likes

I wish I could open my google docs in a new tab from a canvas assignment.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

Tags (1)
6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @ClaudiaJackson -

Are you linking Google Docs within Assignment information, or are you using the Google Assignments LTI?

ClaudiaJackson
Community Member

I am linking google docs within assignments.  I don't know what google assignments LTI is???

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

When clicking a URL, you would like to force-open the content into its own tab. Is that right?

If this isn't happening naturally, you can right-click and then select Open Link in New Tab. If you want to make this a universal experience, there are ways to adjust it using HTML. I know it's an extra step and a few more clicks, but it is a way to guarantee you and your students have the experience you hope!

Open an activity and the Rich Content Editor. Then, find the HTML editor.

How do I use the HTML view in the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? 

After entering the link, you can edit the information associated with the address. By adding a target="_blank" attribute, the link will be required to open up for anyone in a new tab.

For example, if you have a link in the HTML editing window that says the following:

<a href="https://www.instructure.com/">instruture.com</a>

Change the above so that it says:

<a href="https://www.instructure.com/" target="_blank">intructure.com</a>

If it's difficult to find where you need to add the HTML, before you switch from the regular editor to the HTML editor, add zzzz right ahead of the link. That way, when you switch to the HTML editor, you can use the CTRL+F or CMD+F feature to search for zzzz and your browser will jump to the right place. Just remember to delete the zzzz before publishing!

In case you're curious, this is the Google Assignments information. It's pretty neat!Partner Listing: Google Assignments

ClaudiaJackson
Community Member

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at communicating about programming.  I have a google doc embedded in an assignment.  I would love to open the embedded google doc in a new tab but there is no url to open in a new tab when the doc is embedded.

Thanks,
Claudia
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Ah! No problem. 🙂

Because this is embedded, a secondary link will need to be added to the information you include on the screen. When I embed items that are also available on a website (or Google!), I add the URL immediately below with a little more detail.

Example --

If you'd like to open this document directly or bookmark it for future reference, please visit www.instructure.com

Because this would be an addition to the code generated and provided by Google (and not Canvas), this thread will be Archived.

ClaudiaJackson
Community Member

Thanks for the tip!