override submission needed and give a grade

0 Likes
(2)

Often, I have a student show me their work and then do not need to submit anything which I still give them a grade on. The only way for this assignment to be crossed off of their calendar is if they go in and submit something. Is it possible to have a grade given by a teacher override the submission needed so that the assignment is then crossed off of their calendar? Thanks!

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for sharing this idea, @reannehil . As it moves forward for broader discussion, you might want to add your comment to a related idea that seeks to put this control in the hands of the student:  Be able to cross out Completed Assignments on Cale... 

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I see this being beneficial in more than just removing it from the calendar. We've noticed that if a module requirement is set for an assignment to be submitted, it does not matter if the instructor gives the student a manual grade since the student still can't move on because the assignment has not been officially submitted. If an instructor grade counted as a submission, it would open up the following assignments, which would really help us.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.