point based grading scheme

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to be able to set up a grading scheme that is based on point ranges and not percentages. Having to convert the points to percentages is extra work and leads to unclear feedback to students. Blackboard LMS is capable of this, so should canvas.

It would also be helpful to set a maximum number of points that someone can earn in a category. For instance, I allow students to earn up to 100 points for quizzes and give them 14 possible quizzes each worth 10 points. I will count points from any number of quizzes up to 100 total so dropping a number of assignments is not a solution for this. This also leads to student confusion because of inaccurate grading feedback being presented to students.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@oricon  

Thanks for sharing these ideas. As the submission combines two separate requests, we are not able to move this idea forward for further discussion. Please read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singularly-focused idea prompts and resubmit each one as its own new idea.

slbergh
Community Participant

I am one of several at my institution teaching the same multi-section pass-fail course. The way the course is structured is that students must earn X number of points throughout the semester to pass. X-1 means they fail. We add points opportunities throughout the semester, so using a percentage-based grading scheme doesn't work. I currently have to tell my students to ignore the grade shown in Canvas and to simply look at point totals, since the letter grade/percentage is absolutely meaningless for a pass-fail course. Other instructors aren't even using Canvas for grading in this course because it becomes too confusing for the students. They track everything in Excel and only use Canvas to hold assignments. 

oricon
Community Member

would like to be able to set up a grading scheme that is based on point ranges and not percentages. Having to convert the points to percentages is extra work and leads to unclear feedback to students. Blackboard LMS is capable of this, so should canvas.