polling request

0 Likes
(4)

Instant polls are great conversation starters in class. Instead of using outside tool it would be great to have a quick question thrown into a module as a poll or even on the discussion board. This would be ungraded and students would be allowed to see results but the results would be anonymous. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

94 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @odd_torleiv_fur ...

The 100-vote threshold no longer exists.  Instructure has new criterion on how Feature Ideas are vetted: How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?  (Check the section on How long are ideas open for vote?.)  Also, please check What is the feature development process for Canvas? for information on how Instructure gathers data on what we need and/or would like to see implemented in Canvas.  (This is covered in the Discover section of that document.)  Hope this helps!

MikeM
Community Participant

It looks like wedgies is no more? I only find broken links when I try to find them online. 

Where they rebranded or bought up by someone else? 

thanks

Mike

DFN
Community Novice

Having the option to create a voting poll within a discussion (or just have it separate) would be incredibly convenient instead of having students post a reply as a vote.

— Canvas Student

CorinneMiller
Community Member

Some ways to make polls within Canvas instead of embedding Google forms or other poll sites.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@MichelleBarber 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Instructure at one time had a Polls app, but we ceased support for it in January 2021, and so we recommend that our users continue to use third-party tools for polling purposes. Do you have a specific external tool you are using that you would like us to consider for an integration with Canvas?

JamesSinger
Community Member

I think this is a great idea too, @Stef_retired! To piggyback off this idea, it would be great if there were an option to make responses anonymous, but the user and instructor could both see they "completed" it.

Right now I have used PollEV, Google Forms, and Socrative. They've all got pros and cons.

lindsayhaney
Community Explorer

Great idea. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@MichelleBarber @lindsayhaney @JamesSinger  This idea is still in Moderating status; we're looking forward to hearing from the author of the idea so we can move it forward as a request for an integration with a specified partner or potential partner. 

MichelleBarber
Community Member

Poll Everywhere, Google Forms, Mintimeter Would be a few tools I would use outside of Canvas to check in with kids. 

I am looking for live results without leaving the main Canvas environment.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks, @MichelleBarber . The request for an integration with Google Forms is the topic of an active conversation at  Google Forms Integration.

Turning to third-party tools, Canvas integrates with Atomic Jolt  Partner Listing: Atomic Jolt: Search, Assessments,...  for polls. Each request for development of a new partner integration needs to be prioritized for potential development separately. Which one would you most like us to pursue? We can edit the idea to focus it on that request, so please let us know.

lindsayhaney
Community Explorer

Canvas does polling integrating with Nearpod. I do like having features like this built into Canvas vs integrating. However, Nearpod has so many other cool features it's worth it. I love how students can now annotate PDF assignments. Teachers in my district do not need to use Kami. 🙂 

nelsonm8
Community Member

I'd really like a basic polling function within Canvas. Something like when2meet or the myriad of other schedule-coordinating options out there.

For now, I use an ungraded quiz, and it's cumbersome. I either have to abstract things into categories and get just a basic, broad understanding of student schedules. Or I have to devote a bunch of time to work in all the granular options.

It seems like this is a really basic tool that would help users a lot, and it's just a glaring lack of function within Canvas at the moment.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi Everyone! Thank you for engaging in this discussion. It's been open for a long time, and great ideas have been shared. However, because we have been unable to pinpoint a specific tool to focus our discussion upon, this thread is being Archived.

Feel free to open a new and feature-specific idea, if this is something you see being helpful in your courses. How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community?