"Hot spot" Type Question

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As a vocational teacher currently using Blackboard, and happily moving to Canvas, I would really like to see a "Hot Spot" question on a test. Blackboard uses this. It gives the students a picture, and the students must click on the correct area. For example, I teach Information Technology and the students need to know the components of a motherboard. I can post a picture of the motherboard, and then drag a box around the correct answer area...say the CPU socket. Then, the student must click on that area. Obviously, the nomenclature of the question type could not be hot spot, but I think this would be invaluable to Canvas!

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
25 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you for your Feature Idea submission.  We wanted to call your attention to " modifiedtitle="true" title="Hot spot question type​ and ​, both of which were submitted in a different voting period and archived due to not meeting a threshold of votes and/or comments. It may contain valuable discussion and insight as this discussion moves through the voting process.

In the meantime, we do not discourage re-submission of a previously archived idea because community priorities change over time.

We also encourage you to check out this article that can help you maximize the exposure and support of your Feature Idea: How do I write a good feature idea submission?​ First steps, I suggest you reach out to ssimpso4​ and  @amarchan ​ (originators of the other ideas) to help you build momentum around this idea.

This idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle (October).

Smiley Happy 

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

cwendt
Community Champion

I like this idea. It'd be really good for beginning Spanish classes when we do body parts, furniture, etc. Thank you!

meyer_c
Community Novice

PLEASE, PLEASE add this feature to quizzes! It is a critical piece for any health care program! PLEASE!

Thanks! Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Our health career programs would also love this, among many more programs I am less familiar with.

cdiputado
Community Novice

Our college district is considering migrating from D2L to Canvas. D2L offers hot spot questions as part of their Game-Based Learning tool. Our nursing department needs the option to create hot spot questions in their exams, because the state board uses hot spot questions in their nursing exams.

aolson
Community Novice

This is a great feature that I would love to see in Canvas.  We are also switching over from Blackboard to Canvas.  This is one of the primary things I would love to see in Canvas.

rileyke
Community Novice

This would also be awesome for music teachers to have students label specific parts of a musical score or identify features of their own part in an ensemble score.

asatkins
Community Novice

Great idea! We're looking into pulling some of our content out into a CMS and that was one of the selling points (different question types) but it would be awesome to do it from Canvas!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

While this feature idea did not reach the necessary threshold for moving to the next stage, demand for hot spot questions appears to be strengthening (up to 70 votes from the previous 37).  In Canvas Studio, in the comments on Modern Quizzing Engine​,  @amarchan ​ suggest hot spot questions as a desired feature on Nov 12th, so I know that our Product team are aware of this desire.   @GideonWilliams ​,  @christopher_bar  and  @clong ​ also suggested this question type.

152406_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!